Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dianne Abbott gaffes again

(133 Posts)
tickingbird Tue 25-May-21 16:10:38

I see Ms Abbott has claimed the female activist seriously injured at a party at 3am was shot due to her campaigning for equal rights for black people. Turns out she was shot by black males shooting from a car - probably gang related.

I wonder if the lady herself would still want the police to be defunded seeing as they are working hard to find the culprits. Maybe if they had been stopped and searched before they were able to drive about shooting indiscriminately it wouldn’t have happened.

I wonder if Ms Abbott will rectify her initial statement?

muffinthemoo Tue 25-May-21 21:02:35

She has her moments now and then but absolutely nothing she says justifies the truly horrendous abuse she receives year on year. You cannot send someone a death threat because you don’t like their legally expressed opinions.

rafichagran Tue 25-May-21 21:03:01

EllanVannin

I'll be straight in saying I can't stand the woman.

Why Ellan what has she done to make you say that without backing it up?
I have never seen or heard her being nasty, obnoxious, or a liar come to that.

Lin52 Tue 25-May-21 21:06:08

trisher

I suspect this has more to do with the police fears of racial unrest than any reality.
Diane Abbott is as usual being targeted for one tweet, simply supporting the woman. The question of why the woman was shot remains open. One organisation the Taking The Initiative Party has said
"However, how have the police come to this conclusion without being able to speak to Sasha regarding the death threats and investigate?

"Do the police know who the target of the attack was, in order to conclude that Sasha wasn't? How does one manage to shoot someone in the head accidentally?

"Surely, to end up in hospital having sustained a bullet shot to the head, makes a death threat more credible."
If the woman has had death threats surely this was possibly due to her activism and perhaps Diane Abbott is right.

Perhaps there were eye witnesses too, you know those who were horrified a young woman could be shot down in the street. So perhaps Abbott should keep quiet until more facts are known. She is certainly known well for her hateful remarks about the white population of this country.

tickingbird Tue 25-May-21 21:18:14

In fairness the story about her wearing odd shoes was fake. It was photoshopped.

tickingbird Tue 25-May-21 21:20:38

Trisher I have seen two interviews of DA, one with the BBC where she states this. It isn’t fake news or the right wing press trying to smear her.

EllanVannin Tue 25-May-21 21:24:41

I couldn't stand Beckett either.

trisher Tue 25-May-21 21:36:56

tickingbird

Trisher I have seen two interviews of DA, one with the BBC where she states this. It isn’t fake news or the right wing press trying to smear her.

Her tweet said Nobody should have to potentially pay with their life because they stood up for racial justice
The political party the woman spoke for TTIP have said she received numerous death threats, they have also questioned the police statement.
It seems to me that stifling debate about the issue purely on the grounds that it might cause racial unrest shows just how ingrained in our society racism remains. She may have been shot because she is a black activist, it might have been accidental. No one knows, but racial unrest should not be used as an excuse for stifling debate. When people demonstrate it's because they have injustice to complain about.

tickingbird Tue 25-May-21 21:57:39

Oh come on. It’s quite obvious what the story is here. Rubbish the police and divert from more black on black violence. This young woman has been shot in the head and by all accounts, someone else was stabbed. I hope she makes a full recovery but as a mother of two children, maybe she should have been better being at home with them instead of being at a party with gang members in attendance.

Yes pile on.......I don’t give a hoot!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-May-21 22:04:18

The elephant in the room gun and knife crime is primarily black on black in London.

Galaxy Tue 25-May-21 22:07:04

Yes mothers stay at home at unless you want to get shot. It's like the 17th century. The disdain for a victim of crime is breathtaking.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-May-21 22:09:04

Galaxy

Yes mothers stay at home at unless you want to get shot. It's like the 17th century. The disdain for a victim of crime is breathtaking.

Sasha is a mother and a daughter and that should not be dismissed.

Galaxy Tue 25-May-21 22:11:00

I am not the one doing that granny.

trisher Tue 25-May-21 22:15:32

tickingbird

Oh come on. It’s quite obvious what the story is here. Rubbish the police and divert from more black on black violence. This young woman has been shot in the head and by all accounts, someone else was stabbed. I hope she makes a full recovery but as a mother of two children, maybe she should have been better being at home with them instead of being at a party with gang members in attendance.

Yes pile on.......I don’t give a hoot!

I have no desire to rubbish the police. However I do think a more balanced view of what happened and keeping an open mind about the reason for the attack is necessary.
As for the "she should have stayed home" it's so ridiculous it isn't worthy of comment.

Galaxy Tue 25-May-21 22:19:57

You are right trisher. Its goading and I shouldn't be drawn in.

PippaZ Tue 25-May-21 22:26:12

Pile on? Why would anyone even want to talk to those who show such ignorance about a black woman who has broken so many boundaries in her life? This thread is laden with misogynoir.

Urmstongran Tue 25-May-21 22:28:43

Diane Abbott is endorsing Andy Burnham I see. Actually I bet he wishes she’d keep it zipped as an endorsement from her won’t help his cause one jot.

I would love to see the back of chippy Burnham, the chancer.

As a Mancunian I can attest to the fact that the city is a filthy, crime ridden, drug-dealing dump, with plenty of homeless people, tents on city centre streets, piles of wet, dirty bedding, an important main street which looks like a permanent disaster zone with huge orange and white barriers and large groups of dope-smoking migrants hanging around.

A walk around Piccadilly Gardens is like being in a dystopian nightmare of the future.

Manchester is a single party state. Of the 96 councillors, there is one Lib Dem and one Green Party. The other 94 are Labour.

I despair for Manchester.

Alegrias1 Tue 25-May-21 22:38:05

I don't think "single party state" means what you think it does.

People voting for the representatives they want. Whatever next?

PippaZ Tue 25-May-21 22:42:21

Some would definitely vote for a right wing dictatorship Alegrias1. I think we have just been told that quite clearly.

Ellan Tue 25-May-21 23:02:36

Diane Abbott has been a Member of Parliament since 1987, so clearly her constituents are happy for her to represent them
She has been unfairly represented in the press
I abhor unfairness
By the way, the 'black acitivist's' name is Sacha Johnson, please afford her the courtesy of using it
I am actually shocked by the casual racism on this thread. The finding of some kind 'humour' at such a dreadful act of violence

tickingbird Wed 26-May-21 08:13:48

Racism everywhere as usual. A black person(s) shoots another black person and we’re all racists. There must be a way we can blame white racists for this, all too common, violence.

Galaxy Wed 26-May-21 08:15:18

Are you not able to understand that two things can exist at the same time.

Maria59 Wed 26-May-21 09:26:33

I watched the newsnight interview and despite the interviewer stating several times the re was no evidence of a racially motivated attack DA said why do you keep saying that and tried to make it into a problem for people of colour living in uk. From the confirmed evidence in this case people of colour living in the UK are at risk of being shot or stabbed by other people of colour not down to racism. White people are also at risk of this.

Gwyneth Wed 26-May-21 09:34:27

If true it was a reckless statement and Ms Abbott should have checked her facts first. This is exactly the kind of statement which will incite racial hatred. I can’t begin to understand why anyone would want to do this particularly an MP?

JaneJudge Wed 26-May-21 09:36:51

I really don't understand why white people get so offended and think they are being got at confused

timetogo2016 Wed 26-May-21 09:42:32

Feel the same EllanVannin.
She`s a loose cannon imo.