Gransnet forums

News & politics

Matt Hancock….

(410 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:47:08

Anyone watching this now? He really does talk the talk doesn’t he. Has just stated that no health worker has died due to lack of PPE. At least Sarah Owen is now giving him a good grilling.

Chestnut Wed 16-Jun-21 17:34:54

I'm not trying to defend anybody, but what concerns me is that Cummings has released hundreds of private WhatsApp messages into the public domain. Is that even legal? Surely private Government messages, letters, documents etc. are protected by the Official Secrets Act, so how is this even possible? I am astonished and worried, because if these can be released then what else can be released? It could result in a breach of national security.

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 17:43:28

Should govt messages be sent on WhatsApp. Surely they should have secure email or something.

PippaZ Wed 16-Jun-21 18:13:31

I think most people consider WhatsApp to be secure theworriedwell - from journalists at least - as it is encripted before it leaves your device. Having seen some of the governments IT undertakings they may well be safer using it.

I don't think Cummings has a "stop" button Chestnut nor a "stick to the rules" one. But they did know that before he was given the job.

varian Wed 16-Jun-21 18:20:03

Now we know why Hancock has always looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Everyone around him, including the PM , regarded him as useless, but for whatever bizarre political reasons, he was kept in the job despite being totally out of his depth.

grumppa Wed 16-Jun-21 18:35:55

Since Johnson’s default way of speech is hyperbole - fantastic, terrific, world-beating - , when things are adequate at best, it may work in reverse as well. So when he says someone is useless, he may actually mean that they’re doing a reasonable job.

Peasblossom Wed 16-Jun-21 18:36:24

It does occur to me that he just happened to be in situ *and nobody else would take it on*?

Peasblossom Wed 16-Jun-21 18:36:49

That should have come out bold ??‍♀️

MaizieD Wed 16-Jun-21 19:14:05

Is that even legal?

Seeing that various government acts by ministers in the past year or so have been found to be 'unlawful' , Chestnut, I think it's a bit late to be worrying about 'legality' now.

Ro60 Wed 16-Jun-21 20:51:01

Hallelujah! I've thought maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick! It all seems total madness.

Proves again Bojo picked 'yes men'.

Glad to see others are thinking the same so I presume across the nation too. Somethings got to give - surely?

Then there's the swearing issue - I always thought it was unacceptable in a work environment; in my lowly job it would result in a disciplinary at the very least.

NotSpaghetti Wed 16-Jun-21 21:00:25

Ro60 - this is the problem with giving jobs to "mates".
The f*ing and blinding is seen as chummy probably. hmm

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 21:12:59

PippaZ

I think most people consider WhatsApp to be secure theworriedwell - from journalists at least - as it is encripted before it leaves your device. Having seen some of the governments IT undertakings they may well be safer using it.

I don't think Cummings has a "stop" button Chestnut nor a "stick to the rules" one. But they did know that before he was given the job.

I didn't know it was encripted but I just thought they should use some sort of official channel. Maybe it was because of all the fuss about Hilary Clinton using her private email instead of the govt one but of course different country different rules.

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 21:14:25

varian

Now we know why Hancock has always looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Everyone around him, including the PM , regarded him as useless, but for whatever bizarre political reasons, he was kept in the job despite being totally out of his depth.

I've never been a fan but I do feel a bit sorry for him. No one would feel happy reading that about themselves. It wasn't an appropriate way to speak about someone you work with.

theworriedwell Wed 16-Jun-21 21:21:07

JaneJudge

They took it off her notes in January theworriedwell when we had her annual LD clinic. She has had both her vaccinations and is indeed well. It is appalling though. We work SO hard for her to have a 'normal' and independent and happy life as possible and yet it was deemed necessary by government bodies to judge her wrt to the frailty scale angry I don't bloody think so

I'm so glad she is well, it must have been so hard for you. I can't believe how they have behaved. I know people go mad if you compare things to the Nazis but this was their attitude to the people with LD, I hope the govt have learned their lesson and don't try to go down that route again.

MayBee70 Wed 16-Jun-21 23:18:36

There’s something weird going on here. Cummings has always been close to Gove. I’m sure someone said today there had been talk of replacing Hancock with Gove. Hancock is rubbish. But no more so than the rest of them. He’s just the scapegoat. They’re going to blame the whole pandemic debacle on him.

MaizieD Wed 16-Jun-21 23:25:30

They’re going to blame the whole pandemic debacle on him.

If the PM said, over a year ago, that Hancock was effing hopeless and then left him in post, then I think that the PM might just get a teensy bit of the blame, too. hmm

MayBee70 Wed 16-Jun-21 23:35:25

That’s true.

25Avalon Thu 17-Jun-21 09:07:26

When thieves fall out who knows what to believe? Cummings is a very clever manipulative person who may well have some hidden agenda. We still don’t know really why he was in Barnards Castle. Hancock does come across as weak but it appears he was the one prompting spending money developing a vaccine. Johnson is also clever although he comes across as a bumbling idiot and we don’t know if he really meant Hancock was hopeless. We have all probably said this about somebody at sometime. As it is Hancock is still in post. Maybe he was just a mouthpiece and now a possible easy scapegoat.There is probably a lot more to come out when we have a full inquiry into the handling of the pandemic.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 09:19:00

Avalon,
We have all probably said this about somebody at sometime
No, I don't think so.
I would never say someone was hopeless (let alone f**** hopeless) unless I really believed they were.

Petera Thu 17-Jun-21 10:01:09

MayBee70

There’s something weird going on here. Cummings has always been close to Gove. I’m sure someone said today there had been talk of replacing Hancock with Gove. Hancock is rubbish. But no more so than the rest of them. He’s just the scapegoat. They’re going to blame the whole pandemic debacle on him.

I think part of his calculation (and I belong to the camp who believes that if he were half as clever as he thinks he his he'd be twice as clever as anyone else) is that if Gove becomes PM (No....!!!!) the he could be rehabilitated.

25Avalon Thu 17-Jun-21 10:01:17

I have said it in a work situation when I have believed someone has let me down on a particular occasion. It didn’t mean I thought that all of the time.

theworriedwell Thu 17-Jun-21 10:14:24

NotSpaghetti

*Avalon*,
We have all probably said this about somebody at sometime
No, I don't think so.
I would never say someone was hopeless (let alone f**** hopeless) unless I really believed they were.

No I've never said it although it might have been appropriate at times.

MaizieD Thu 17-Jun-21 10:25:53

if Gove becomes PM (No....!!!!) the he could be rehabilitated.

I still don't understand why Gove is considered to be a shoe in if we got rid of Johnson. There has to be a leadership contest and I don't think Gove has enough support in the tory party to win it.

Perhaps, though, Cummings is planning to run his leadership campaign. He's got a good track record for running winning campaigns hmm

MayBee70 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:58:52

Isn’t Murdoch still behind Gove?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:59:45

It is time that the Tories had a complete clear out of all the current cabinet. Every single one of them is either marred with corruption, been found guilty of a misdemeanour or totally dim.

MayBee70 Thu 17-Jun-21 12:17:32

Unfortunately they can’t because they got rid of pretty much every Conservative MP that had morals and decency before the last election. The decent ones eg Rory Stewart wouldn’t serve under a leader they found to be a liar.