Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now is the winter of Britain’s discontent

(261 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 15:57:09

Day after day there are articles like this in the worlds press.

lemongrove Sat 02-Oct-21 17:21:13

I’m hoping there will be no turkeys available.....then we can have beef or ham.
Have got my Ocado Christmas slot ( smug mode) and no delivery charge, yippee.

JaneJudge Sat 02-Oct-21 17:23:22

why aren't you charged delivery?

Alegrias1 Sat 02-Oct-21 17:25:34

Visgir1

Zoejory

And to top it all off the latest Yougov poll has given the Tories an 8 point lead!

And after the Labour Party conference as well, that speaks volumes. Wonder what it will be like after their conference?

Gonna need a link to that poll.

Or is it the same one we disproved on GN last night?

Zoejory Sat 02-Oct-21 17:28:01

Is this real enough, Alegrias1?

yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/09/29/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-28-29-sep

lemongrove Sat 02-Oct-21 17:28:31

JaneJudge

It’s usually £10 for the Christmas slot, but they say it’s free this year for regular customers.

Lincslass Sat 02-Oct-21 17:35:19

Really can’t think it will be any worse than the last one, with Unions bringing the country to its knees, Jim Callaghan trying to cap pay rises to bring the 26%inflation rate down. Yes we are still contending with covid, but the horrendous 14 weeks of bodies not being buried, tons of rubbish lining the streets etc, deliveries not being made, wonder if Labour supporters were worried about deaths then. The foreign press, well really not interested in what they say, they’re in it to sell papers, think the ordinary man in their streets will be having their own problems, and not really worrying about ours.
libcom.org/history/1978-1979-winter-of-discontent

Alegrias1 Sat 02-Oct-21 17:35:51

Zoejory

yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/09/29/voting-intention-con-39-lab-31-28-29-sep

Yes, thank you Zoejory.

It is the same one we spoke about last night. I'll just point out then for visgirl that the poll was almost wholly carried out before the end of the Labour Conference smile

JaneJudge Sat 02-Oct-21 17:37:32

lemongrove

JaneJudge

It’s usually £10 for the Christmas slot, but they say it’s free this year for regular customers.

did it say free when you booked it? It said 9.99 on my offered slots. I have a smart pass and use them weekly!

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 17:38:32

trisher

If we carry that quote on is Johnson the "sun of York"?
"Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of York"
Bet he'd love to be. Maybe it's all a devious plan to show he can sort things (but I think it's more likely a massive cock up)

He is an inadequate fool. I don't think Johnson is likely to be welcomed in York.

York, beautiful city that it is, has a doughnut population. The outer ring, as in many cities, probably votes Conservative because Tories have always made the inequality go in their direction. The inner "hole" are people who live from week to week on uncertain contracts and probably don't think Johnson is doing much for them.

As Yorkshire is as big a Scotland (I think that must be in population) I am all for our independence if Johnson continues to diminish the democracy of our country.

Zoejory Sat 02-Oct-21 17:39:01

Alegrias1

Zoejory

Yes, thank you Zoejory.

It is the same one we spoke about last night. I'll just point out then for visgirl that the poll was almost wholly carried out before the end of the Labour Conference smile

I'm not on here that often so how did you all manage to disprove it?

Polls are often wrong. We've seen that many times.

No doubt next week Labour will be leading.

However I can't see how you can disprove it.

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 17:41:50

Zoejory

Fear not, PippaZ!

You can buy it online. Have it delivered. Loads of different brands available

www.justmilk.com/product/lactose-free-uht-milk/

What about those who can't afford a delivery? Conservatives have absolutely no knowledge of how others live - or for many - survive.

lemongrove Sat 02-Oct-21 17:42:01

Mr L booked it yesterday Jane and he said that the message was free delivery as he booked it.We have a smart pass and like you use them weekly for deliveries.
When he arrives home I will ask him about the actual wording.

Zoejory Sat 02-Oct-21 17:43:35

I'll just point out then for visgirl that the poll was almost wholly carried out before the end of the Labour Conference

The poll was carried out 28-29 September.

Labour's conference was 25 -29 September.

I'm not sure what your point is.

lemongrove Sat 02-Oct-21 17:44:40

PippaZ you have no idea what people can or can’t afford or who is a Conservative voter, so that was a rather silly comment.

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 17:44:58

Zoejory

Fear not, PippaZ!

What did happen to the woman who said "let them eat cake"? Think on Zoejory

Zoejory Sat 02-Oct-21 17:46:10

PippaZ

Zoejory

Fear not, PippaZ!

What about those who can't afford a delivery? Conservatives have absolutely no knowledge of how others live - or for many - survive.

I'm not a Conservative.

Zoejory Sat 02-Oct-21 17:47:08

lemongrove

PippaZ you have no idea what people can or can’t afford or who is a Conservative voter, so that was a rather silly comment.

You can say that again, lemongrove

This is getting farcical.

Casdon Sat 02-Oct-21 17:47:32

The discontent with the Government as voted on YouGov is probably more relevant than Labours polling at the moment given the length of time to the next election..
yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/government-approval

Zoejory Sat 02-Oct-21 17:48:12

Well nobody has been able to disprove the poll so I'll leave you all to it.

MaizieD Sat 02-Oct-21 17:48:27

Zoejory

*I'll just point out then for visgirl that the poll was almost wholly carried out before the end of the Labour Conference*

The poll was carried out 28-29 September.

Labour's conference was 25 -29 September.

I'm not sure what your point is.

The end of the conference was 29th Sept. The poll was carried out the day before and on the day.

That is, before the 'end', as Alegrias said. More like 'during'.

Alegrias1 Sat 02-Oct-21 17:50:09

The poll was completed at 5pm on the 29th, after 2 days of polling.

Starmer's speech started at 3pm on the 29th, probably finished at 4pm.

So it's not a fair conclusion that the results reflect anybody's views after the Labour Conference.

(Incidentally, autocorrect changes Starmer to "starlet". How interesting ?)

lemongrove Sat 02-Oct-21 17:51:37

That really is splitting hairs MaizieD they are still 8 points behind in the poll .....even with one day to go.

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 17:52:36

lemongrove

That really isn't worth a reply.

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 17:56:39

Zoejory

Well nobody has been able to disprove the poll so I'll leave you all to it.

The poll was the usual monthly poll; nothing to do with the conference. If you think the general British public make up their minds about a Conference on the first day, you have a much higher opinion of them than most pollsters.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 18:00:21

And of course we still have covid to cope with. According t9 Zoe 65k cases a day.

France 10k a day.

Italy less than 10k a day.