Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now is the winter of Britain’s discontent

(261 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 15:57:09

Day after day there are articles like this in the worlds press.

Dinahmo Sat 02-Oct-21 18:04:43

Aveline

Every winter is a winter of discontent to our media. Only bad news sells or increases viewer numbers.

Totally wrong. Anything that the younger royals do will outsell anything else.

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 18:07:40

lemongrove

PippaZ you have no idea what people can or can’t afford or who is a Conservative voter, so that was a rather silly comment.

That poll must give Starmer hope. The country is starting to count the cost of this government's incompetence ...

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 18:08:25

Not sure why that quote was included. I certainly didn't want to see the nonsense again.

MerylStreep Sat 02-Oct-21 18:13:17

Zoejory

And to top it all off the latest Yougov poll has given the Tories an 8 point lead!

All together now Always look on the bright side of life, ta da ta da
??????????
Anyone know any good jokes. ?

Grammaretto Sat 02-Oct-21 18:14:47

Sorry I haven't read all your replies. I think there is a lot of alarmist stuff - it sells news - but there are good signs as well.

The Labour party ? I think are planning to reverse Brexit, It could take a while but as long as it's a plan.smile

Aren't we supposed to be phasing out animal eating?
I will personally be glad when that happens. I have not eaten meat knowingly for over 30 years and am a very healthy 73yr old. We don't have to eat meat.

I had an argument a few years back with a carnivore body builder. He was not happy at all when I pointed out how many Olympic athletes and medal winners were vegetarian or even vegan. ie Serena Williams and Carl Lewis.
thebeet.com/these-7-olympic-gold-medalists-are-powered-by-plant-based-diets/

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 18:22:47

Lincslass

Really can’t think it will be any worse than the last one, with Unions bringing the country to its knees, Jim Callaghan trying to cap pay rises to bring the 26%inflation rate down. Yes we are still contending with covid, but the horrendous 14 weeks of bodies not being buried, tons of rubbish lining the streets etc, deliveries not being made, wonder if Labour supporters were worried about deaths then. The foreign press, well really not interested in what they say, they’re in it to sell papers, think the ordinary man in their streets will be having their own problems, and not really worrying about ours.
libcom.org/history/1978-1979-winter-of-discontent

What are you talking about Lincslass?

Lincslass Sat 02-Oct-21 18:29:37

PippaZ

Lincslass

Really can’t think it will be any worse than the last one, with Unions bringing the country to its knees, Jim Callaghan trying to cap pay rises to bring the 26%inflation rate down. Yes we are still contending with covid, but the horrendous 14 weeks of bodies not being buried, tons of rubbish lining the streets etc, deliveries not being made, wonder if Labour supporters were worried about deaths then. The foreign press, well really not interested in what they say, they’re in it to sell papers, think the ordinary man in their streets will be having their own problems, and not really worrying about ours.

Well if they’re calling this the winter of discontent, I’m comparing it with the last one, which I remember well.

MaizieD Sat 02-Oct-21 18:37:21

Lincslass

PippaZ

Lincslass

Well if they’re calling this the winter of discontent, I’m comparing it with the last one, which I remember well.

It hasn't even really got going yet. It's still Autumn.

Let's see what it looks like in March 2022

Kali2 Sat 02-Oct-21 18:46:07

Please please tell me Johnson did NOT say 'never mind about cancer outcomes'? Surely he did not stoop THAT low?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 18:58:11

Kali2

Please please tell me Johnson did NOT say 'never mind about cancer outcomes'? Surely he did not stoop THAT low?

He did I am afraid.

He sort of waved his hand as if he was waving cancer and early deaths as something to be disregarded in favour of higher wages.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 18:59:28

This

“I've given you the most important metric which is, never mind life expectancy, never mind cancer outcomes, look at wage growth."

I work in a hospice. And I’m reeling that a remark so callous, so cruel, could have been uttered by the prime minister.

Kali2 Sat 02-Oct-21 19:03:49

I was sort of hoping you would say this had been made up by the press, or twisted...

but this is just so so callous, cruel and despicable. If anyone, just anyone- on GN or elsewhere still support him now- then, I just don't know where we can go from there ...

GrannyGravy13 Sat 02-Oct-21 19:20:21

Whitewavemark2

This

“I've given you the most important metric which is, never mind life expectancy, never mind cancer outcomes, look at wage growth."

I work in a hospice. And I’m reeling that a remark so callous, so cruel, could have been uttered by the prime minister.

Hi have you a link please?

I would like to see what he said, where he said it and to whom?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 19:22:20

Interview on the BBC.

It is all over social media.

Kali2 Sat 02-Oct-21 19:23:32

Found it

youtu.be/b630S_vwwYs

despicable, appalling, shameful

Alegrias1 Sat 02-Oct-21 19:24:56

Please, Tory ladies, don't try to excuse this.

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/boris-johnson-labour-jonathan-ashworth-bbc-prime-minister-b958478.html

Josianne Sat 02-Oct-21 19:41:41

MerylStreep

Zoejory

And to top it all off the latest Yougov poll has given the Tories an 8 point lead!

??????????

I found you one in this thread MerylStreep.
York, beautiful city that it is, has a doughnut population.
The mind boggles at the size of its population.
Sorry to anyone in York.

JaneJudge Sat 02-Oct-21 19:42:42

He means poor people wont be able to pay for the privatised NHS too. Ordinary people who may have lived with the correct treatment will die because their life will be assessed by a loss adjuster

Alegrias1 Sat 02-Oct-21 19:42:51

Deflection, imagine that.

Hetty58 Sat 02-Oct-21 19:49:27

Not proud of being British any more - quite ashamed and embarrassed actually. Still, I seem to be surrounded by people who think Boris has done a good job - so I despair, I really do!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 02-Oct-21 19:49:29

No excuses from me, I will try and find the entire interview.

PippaZ Sat 02-Oct-21 19:52:14

Josianne

MerylStreep

Zoejory

??????????

I found you one in this thread MerylStreep.
York, beautiful city that it is, has a doughnut population.
The mind boggles at the size of its population.
Sorry to anyone in York.

I said it. Many people will say it. Where do you think we are?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 20:03:43

To compound Johnson’s dreadful remark, he knows very well that any wage growth will be totally cancelled out by inflation.

So no truth either.

denbylover Sat 02-Oct-21 20:06:31

Josianne

I think all countries have their different problems.
My family in New Zealand say they feel like hermits and despite feeling smug initially are now finding the situation onerous.

I don’t think we have ever felt ‘smug’! What a ridiculous comment. Many emotions here certainly, but smugness was never one of them. We are doing what we must as a small country to deal with a virus that is the biggest threat (but in a different way) probably since WW2. Nothing is currently ideal, we got the virus later than many Northern Hemisphere countries, it makes sense our re-emergence, opening up etc will take longer. Yes, of course we’re looking forward to
opening up, hopefully in the safest way possible.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 20:10:09

denbylover

Josianne

I think all countries have their different problems.
My family in New Zealand say they feel like hermits and despite feeling smug initially are now finding the situation onerous.

I don’t think we have ever felt ‘smug’! What a ridiculous comment. Many emotions here certainly, but smugness was never one of them. We are doing what we must as a small country to deal with a virus that is the biggest threat (but in a different way) probably since WW2. Nothing is currently ideal, we got the virus later than many Northern Hemisphere countries, it makes sense our re-emergence, opening up etc will take longer. Yes, of course we’re looking forward to
opening up, hopefully in the safest way possible.

Mind you I’d be smug if I lived in NZ???