Gransnet forums

News & politics

Suella Braverman’s speech…

(111 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 18:02:18

Just listened to it. It made my blood run cold…sad

Galaxy Wed 05-Oct-22 06:42:56

Yes you can always rely on James for further racism. People from a particular ethnicity shouldnt be allowed specific jobs. Christ jokers on the left of me jokers on the right etc.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 06:49:09

I see your point, but he qualified it with “despise” and I understand that.

I am not aware that he is racist?

growstuff Wed 05-Oct-22 06:51:06

Galaxy

Yes you can always rely on James for further racism. People from a particular ethnicity shouldnt be allowed specific jobs. Christ jokers on the left of me jokers on the right etc.

No! You omitted part of the clause: Children of immigrants who despise other immigrants - the last few words are important.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 06:54:01

Thank you growstuff I began to panic a bit.

Lucca Wed 05-Oct-22 06:59:20

Yes you can always rely on James for further racism.

What ?

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 05-Oct-22 07:36:56

Hmm Curtaintwitcher- are you part of what makes Britain great? My late FIL was very proud of his teeth, boasting that several of his fillings lasted for 50 + years. His dentist was a Hungarian refugee .The most sought after local GP practice has three popular doctors- not one British born. Thank goodness for them.

Katie59 Wed 05-Oct-22 07:44:47

Immigrants are often the first to say “no more”

What they really mean is “I’m in, no more unless it’s my relatives”. Those of migrant origin that I know are quite conservative in their views, they’ve worked hard for what they have etc etc.

volver Wed 05-Oct-22 08:10:57

Galaxy

We've jumped the shark.

Read it again. ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:01:18

Just one example of posts on twitter.

Dr Waheed Arian ?
@DrWaheedArian
Our healthcare and economy are broken but alive because of refugees & migrants.
UK now rejects every refugee who comes through irregular route to seek safety while no regular ways are available.
I'm one of those refugees who came "illegally". Will you show compassion to others?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:05:04

More “illegals”

Me & my twin bro Mo moved to the UK from Lebanon when we were 17 leaving our parents behind

Mo was stacking shelves & I was cleaning floors

Life was so difficult back then

Today

I'm an NHS psychiatrist & Dr
@HankirMohammed
is a leading neuroscientist

LizzieDrip Wed 05-Oct-22 10:42:03

Meanwhile, housing these mostly young male immigrants is costing us an eye watering five million pounds a day.

If these young people (for they ARE humans) were afforded the same privileges that Braverman’s parents were given, they would be able to work and, thus, contribute positively to society. This would wipe out the hotel costs. I’m sure they don’t want to be stuck in hotels. They’ve come to the UK for safety and a better life - JUST LIKE BRAVERMAN’S PARENTS.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 10:46:36

James O’Brian contrasted two people’s dreams.

Market Luther King

Braverman

?

What has happened to us?

LizzieDrip Wed 05-Oct-22 10:50:08

Children of immigrants who despise other immigrants probably shouldn’t be in charge of immigration policy. They often seem to be dealing with personal issues that shouldn’t be anywhere near the political space. People who protected & defended their parents might do a better job.

??? I just don’t understand why some people don’t get this!

Parsley3 Wed 05-Oct-22 10:52:53

twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1577400336691580929?t=oHdNrUuoiVW0IvFNvHQCdw&s=19

Braverman's dream

MayBee70 Wed 05-Oct-22 10:55:05

I’m just thinking out loud here and haven’t thought it through so please challenge what I’m thinking and saying it, but it makes me think of the caste system in India and some of these MP’s put migrants etc into categories and regard themselves as superior and others as being the unspeakable.

Blondiescot Wed 05-Oct-22 10:55:27

Oh my god, I just can't anymore...
Seriously, how can anyone agree with what she said??

MayBee70 Wed 05-Oct-22 10:59:26

Now mentioning Ann Marie Trevellion in transport getting Britain moving again. Years ago ( 10 +?) standing with Cameron on the A1 north of Newcastle promising to turn it into a much needed dual carriageway. Still waiting for that! They honestly think that we don’t have memories.

LizzieDrip Wed 05-Oct-22 11:04:29

Just listened to Zahawi in his speech, talking about how wonderful the UK was for giving his parents safety when fleeing from Iraq. He likes to refer to himself as the ‘boy from Baghdad’. I’m really happy that the likes of him, Braverman and Patel achieved a lot in their lives because the UK welcomed their parents with open arms. Why are they so adamant that others should be denied thisangrysad

RichmondPark1 Wed 05-Oct-22 11:11:50

Why are they so adamant that others should be denied this

Because it's easier to blame immigrants than it is to address their 12 years of failure to provide infrastructure, society and the welfare state?

Because it's what some of their supporters clamour to hear.

Because it's what their sponsors and the right wing media want them to say.

Grantanow Wed 05-Oct-22 11:25:56

Braverman is another scraping from the bottom of the barrel. The Tories need a good few years out of power for rest and relaxation and renewal.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 05-Oct-22 12:20:21

As I have stated before, I am the granddaughter of a dirt-poor ill-educated Italian immigrant. This woman's great grandchildren are all graduates, all working and paying taxes. One of them is in the middle of her PhD. Plenty more of these stories in our collective GN backgrounds, I'm sure.

Vintagenonna Wed 05-Oct-22 12:31:45

With James O'B on this, Whitewavemark2 : something about getting safely across the bridge then smashing it to stop others coming over.

Just as terrifying is the self-belief that it is her task and right to take control of the judicial system to curb the protection of the Human Rights Act and judicial reviews of dodgy cases.

RichmondPark1 Wed 05-Oct-22 15:06:31

Chocolatelovinggran what a successful family you have. You must be so proud of them all and happy to see how they are contributing to society.

Nanna58 Wed 05-Oct-22 15:15:56

My family nearly all ‘Job’ , if you think she’s bad for people who need asylum, wait til you see her plans for law and order! ?

HousePlantQueen Wed 05-Oct-22 15:16:24

Apricotdessert

Curtaintwitcher

That sounds more like the Conservative party I voted for! She said all the right things and if she were only able to put it all into practise, this country might get back to being Great Britain again.
However, I don't doubt that she'll be blocked at every turn by those who are determined to destroy this country.

The people destroying this country are the corrupt Tories and their cronies and the right wing media who let them get away with it for their own gains. The Tories pretend to be patriots with their flag waving whilst raking it in for their doners or giving them peerages, whilst value for money for the tax payer is of secondary concern. Ordinary hard working people's quality of life has suffered in the past 12 years and since Brexit our rights have started to suffer too.

well done Apricotdessert, you posted a truthful, reasonable and polite reply. I was unable to think of anything polite, or nondefamatory to use in my reply to curtaintwitcher and decided that s/he is not worth getting banned for.