Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Have you ever been in this situation?

(84 Posts)
Smileless2012 Mon 11-May-15 14:57:33

There is a particularly difficult and painful family problem and you an another family member, who shares the same faith, pray about it but get different answers.

I have been praying about this for more than 3 years now and truly believe that the direction I have taken is the direction which God wants me to take. My son on the other hand has a completely different point of view and seeks to press home his arguments by quoting scripture.

How can we both be interpreting God's message correctly when we are at opposite ends of the spectrum? I would be so grateful for any input. My faith has helped sustain me through the most difficult and painful situation I've ever had to face and I cannot afford to begin to doubt what I've believed in for so long.

Soutra Wed 13-May-15 22:06:00

Thank you Pompa I am glad I am not alone.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-May-15 22:07:10

cos it's so important

Smileless2012 Thu 14-May-15 00:58:20

Thank you Ariadnesmile. Much support and empathy has been given and gratefully received. I've found my pming with soontobe especially helpful. All of your posts have been shared with my DH and he too is thankful for all of the contributions.

You have all stirred us in to re examining the direction we've been going in and that is no bad thing. My DH has just read me this quote from CS Lewis
"God who fore saw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain but without stain".smile

pompa Thu 14-May-15 07:04:52

Whilst not believing in God, I would always capitalize such a book out of respect to those that hold in the highest regard, ie The Holy Bible : Quran : Pāli Canon, etc.

feetlebaum Thu 14-May-15 07:14:22

Yes I have a bible - two in fact, as I have one in French as well for some reason. The English one I bought during my teen years (the 1950s).

It could do with the attentions of good editor. Did you know that one chapter appears, word for word, in two OT books?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-May-15 09:48:31

I won mine. At Sunday School. [halo]

annodomini Thu 14-May-15 10:57:20

I have a gigantic family bible, going back a good 150 years. It has various records of births, deaths and baptisms inserted.

Smileless2012 Thu 14-May-15 13:02:10

I still have the Bible I was given when at secondary school in 1975, every pupil received one according to the religion on their records. Mine was down as RC as I was baptised in the RC church. It's been so well read by my DH that the cover is falling apart.

I also have a big and beautiful family RC Bible that my maternal grandmother bought many years ago. I would often go to mass with her when ever I stayed with her as child. My mum told me many years later that she'd bought it from a door to door sales man. It had been rather expensive and the reason she bought it was because she was looking after my brother at the time when he was a baby, she was having rather a tottering time with him as he wouldn't stop crying and the only way she could get rid of the sales man was to agree to make a purchase.

That sounds lovely annodomini, what a wonderful family heirloom to be able to pass on.