Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Faeries and Nature Elementals

(155 Posts)
kgb1987 Thu 10-Dec-20 11:35:17

Has anyone had met or seen a Faery? By these, I really meant those that Rudolph Steiner would have called an Elemental?

Chewbacca Wed 13-Jan-21 19:24:02

No, I've never seen faeries either. I blame Brexit for holding them up at customs.

FannyCornforth Wed 13-Jan-21 19:25:08

kgb1987 please come back and tell us your experiences smile

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 19:28:03

PollyDolly

Don't they live at the bottom of the garden?? ?

Mine live on DGD's bed

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 19:29:40

Chewbacca

No, I've never seen faeries either. I blame Brexit for holding them up at customs.

???

Poor you, here you are
?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♂️

lemongrove Wed 13-Jan-21 19:30:42

Believing in fairies didn’t do Conan Doyle any good (Cottingley Fairies hoax).

If our ‘hearts and minds’ create the vision, then they aren’t really there are they.

I have an open mind about some things but fairies are a step too far.

The Flower Fairy books were lovely weren't they? Our children used to check the forget-me- nots in the garden because the book said ‘this is where fairy babies lie’.That was something I was happy to go along with.???‍♀️??‍♂️

Kaimoana Wed 13-Jan-21 19:41:23

kgb1987 I think you can see why most people are up to seeing faeries.

janeainsworth Wed 13-Jan-21 20:17:21

Enlightenment here.
You’re welcome.
www.elementalbeings.co.uk/fairies-and-other-elemental-beings/

vampirequeen Wed 13-Jan-21 20:35:14

I believe in faeries and little people. I also believe that some trees are the home of spirits.

There is an ancient well near Market Weighton in Yorkshire. It's called St Helen's Well but it was a holy site long before Christians renamed it. It's believed to be the home of the little people or faerie folk. Even now you always take a piece of ribbon to tie on a tree when you visit the well as a gift for the little people. Although it's supposed to be a Christian site, at heart it's still pagan through and through.

Stormystar Wed 13-Jan-21 22:30:04

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

Lucca Wed 13-Jan-21 22:33:44

Whitewavemark2

Lucca

Wondrous indeed. Have you personally ?

Personally what?

Sorry wwm2. That was In Reply to the post above yours !

Luckygirl Wed 13-Jan-21 22:38:36

Stormystar - have you read Steiner? He thinks that illnesses are good for children and they should be left to suffer or die in keeping with the natural order. I can't buy that one personally.

But his approach to education has, as I said before, a great deal to recommend it. He words it along the lines of children being "incarnating souls" and that is why he recommends that their introduction to the world and its challenges should be gently done. I would not express it in quite that way, but endorse the need to respect childhood and its treasures rather than be too quick to drag children forward out of this precious time.

I would not be happy about it if his batty philosophies were taught to the children, but they are not.

Missfoodlove Wed 13-Jan-21 23:14:35

In Ireland fairies are taken very seriously, evidence of fairies has been known to delay construction or have roads rerouted.
Click the link to read an interesting article re the little folk.

medium.com/the-weird-closet/angry-irish-fairies-screw-up-human-construction-20cb2c1ae4b9

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 23:17:21

We had a fairy door in our old apple tree

MayBee70 Thu 14-Jan-21 02:53:39

We planted a rowan tree in the front garden. We looked up rowan tree fairies in the flower fairy book and we imagined that they lived in our tree. I always thought it protected us from evil spirits. I used to live in an area where there was a large witch wood full of rowan trees: there was a lot of witchcraft in the area. Because it grew into a large tree and it was over a water supply I had it dug up the other year but it really worried me. I kept what remained of the tree and left it leaning against the fence and put bird feeders on it. Bought a tiny rowan tree from Wilkos and it’s growing in a pot in the back garden: no idea what I’m going to do with it! There are some places where I’ve walked that have a magical feel to them: it’s usually where there’s a fast flowing stream surrounded by woodland. Do I believe in fairies? I guess my inner child does.

Stormystar Thu 14-Jan-21 11:03:34

Why would you or anyone buy into children being left to suffer and die Lucky star. The language of Faeries Elementals is metaphorical, one most people understand and gives a framework for thinking outside the material world, and so enables a shift into the metaphysical. Many of our most famous scientists believed in metaphysical reality, and now Quantum physics validates this ancient wisdom. Einstein said - Imagination is more important than knowledge. Neuro diversity reveals we all conceptualise Reality differently isn’t that amazing.

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Jan-21 11:05:30

Many of our most famous scientists believed in metaphysical reality, and now Quantum physics validates this ancient wisdom.

That's not what quantum physics does.

Signed, a physicist.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 14-Jan-21 13:47:57

I like this quote from Twitter Science it’s just magic without the lies smile

Stormystar Thu 14-Jan-21 14:33:08

I would not dream of debating with you Alegrias1 as your a quantum physicist. So this simple quote from an ontological physics that may explain more clearly my perspective. “The revolution in physics that brought us to a quantum picture of the world was so radical that it does not merely force a rethinking of physics, but metaphysics as well. Quantum physics may imply that the world is fundamentally indeterministic, that it is fundamentally indeterminate, that causes are not always local to their effects, that there are many more than three spatial dimensions, that wholes are not simply sums of their parts, that our world is just one among many, etc. According to Peter J. Lewis,

Stormystar Thu 14-Jan-21 14:37:37

Yes Greeneyedgirl yet All claims to Truth are narratives and thus deserve our suspicion

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Jan-21 14:45:12

I'm not a quantum physicist Stormystar, my speciality is elsewhere. smile

I'm not saying anything about your belief system, that of course is entirely up to you.

BigBertha1 Thu 14-Jan-21 14:49:03

I haven't seen on but I thought if ever I did it would be t Janet's Fosse at Malham it seems just the right place to do so.

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 15:02:43

Quantum physics validates this ancient wisdom.
Our friend is a quantum physicist; I've never seen any faeries in his garden and he's never mentioned them as yet. Perhaps he thinks that if he does, people will think he has telling fairy tales.

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 15:03:07

is, not has!

Stormystar Thu 14-Jan-21 15:26:20

Alegrias1 you pointed out your a physicist I merely bow to your greater expertise. It’s certainly not my belief, I just always want to keep my mind open to creative thinking and imaginings. Neurodiversive minds fascinate and inspire me.

lemongrove Thu 14-Jan-21 16:34:24

vampirequeen

I believe in faeries and little people. I also believe that some trees are the home of spirits.

There is an ancient well near Market Weighton in Yorkshire. It's called St Helen's Well but it was a holy site long before Christians renamed it. It's believed to be the home of the little people or faerie folk. Even now you always take a piece of ribbon to tie on a tree when you visit the well as a gift for the little people. Although it's supposed to be a Christian site, at heart it's still pagan through and through.

Have never come across a person who actually believes in fairies/faeries/ little people ( outside of rural Ireland) before.
Just because a place was Pagan ( before it became a Christian site) is no reason for adults in the 21st Century to believe in myths and superstitions.