Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Not in the spirit of Gransnet

(334 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Beswitched Tue 15-Feb-22 21:13:32

Really riled about this. A poster started a thread earlier today about bossy pisters trying to control threads. A lot of other posters agreed and said they too had often been made to feel uncomfortable, belittled or jeered at by a minority of posters.

A couple of posters then came on accusing the OP of stirring it and saying people should Name names. Other pisters quite rightly pointed out that this was inappropriate and against rules. The thread was then abruptly zapped as 'not being in the spirit...'

Concerned, I started a thread wondering about the zapping and requesting an explanation. Again a majority of posters agreedand also asjed for an explanation. Again, a couple of posters came on saying they didn't like the original thread, and also objected to my thread.

Once again HQ zapped the thread with no proper explanation. What is going on here!

Kali2 Tue 15-Feb-22 21:16:36

It is very simple to understand, in fact.

Beswitched Tue 15-Feb-22 21:25:28

Not to me and many others it isn't. It is giving an, I am sure inaccurate, impression that no one is allowed to question or express concern about a style of posting that many find intimidating, upsetting and off putting. And if they do, their posts and threads will be reported and zapped.
Surely it is in Gransnets interest to correct this unfortunate impression?

kittylester Tue 15-Feb-22 21:27:54

We are not allowed threads about threads.

lemsip Tue 15-Feb-22 21:31:24

you ought to reread your own OP

Beswitched Tue 15-Feb-22 21:35:23

Why lemsip? Genuine question.

JaneJudge Tue 15-Feb-22 21:36:08

i have heard it was so and so

tickingbird Tue 15-Feb-22 21:39:20

I missed all this. I posted on the original thread and when I looked again it was gone. I didn’t see the other thread that you started and I suppose this one will go too. It kind of proves what the original OP said. Ridiculous really. Nothing I read warranted deletion.

Beswitched Tue 15-Feb-22 21:41:37

Yes I expect this thread will be deleted with some vague and bland explanation. Very disappointed in Gransnet HQ today.

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 15-Feb-22 21:43:15

Hi OP

We don't allow threads about threads - we never have! Sorry.

The original thread was deleted because it was clear it was becoming about individual posters. This simply isn't in the spirit of the site - in that it can be quite unwelcoming to read when on the receiving end.

As we said on the previous thread, we are more than happy to investigate any poster(s) that are causing concern. But starting threads about them is unlikely to ever be allowed on the boards.

Beswitched Tue 15-Feb-22 21:50:49

But there was no question of individual posters being named despite provocation from the very posters who objected to the thread

Galaxy Tue 15-Feb-22 21:53:39

That's me beswitched is talking about just so everyone knows. Its years since I have been called provocative grin

Grandmashe43 Tue 15-Feb-22 21:54:35

Nor were any GN rules broken in my OP. Strange days Indeed.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Feb-22 21:56:02

Well what have I missed now?

Beswitched Tue 15-Feb-22 21:59:30

Yes very strange. I've really lost respect for Gransnethq tonight. The first thread should never have been deleted.

Doodledog Tue 15-Feb-22 22:03:30

I didn't see the other threads, but I really dislike threads or posts about 'some people'.

The ones concerned probably don't think they are about them, and others start to worry that everyone hates them, and nothing ever gets resolved. Far more assertive to just say 'XYZ is what upset me, and give an example.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Feb-22 22:08:57

BlueBelle

Well what have I missed now?

Oh, I know, me too.

I shouldn't have gone out and met up with Real People.

Lucca Tue 15-Feb-22 22:10:56

Doodledog

I didn't see the other threads, but I really dislike threads or posts about 'some people'.

The ones concerned probably don't think they are about them, and others start to worry that everyone hates them, and nothing ever gets resolved. Far more assertive to just say 'XYZ is what upset me, and give an example.

That was my point…the “some posters are bullies”. Thing that keeps cropping up. I find it infuriating and a bit “whingy”.

JaneJudge Tue 15-Feb-22 22:15:38

posters were named!
and then we just have to work out who is bossy?

tickingbird Tue 15-Feb-22 22:18:01

That was my point…the “some posters are bullies”. Thing that keeps cropping up. I find it infuriating and a bit “whingy”

Some are and some feel bullied. I’m not aware of any names being mentioned and if I remember correctly the OP felt that GN had become rather cliquey and that certain posters felt they could run/moderate threads and this made other, less robust, posters feel uncomfortable.

JaneJudge Tue 15-Feb-22 22:18:28

certain posters
bossy posters
groups of posters
posting posters

JaneJudge Tue 15-Feb-22 22:20:03

tickingbird

^That was my point…the “some posters are bullies”. Thing that keeps cropping up. I find it infuriating and a bit “whingy”^

Some are and some feel bullied. I’m not aware of any names being mentioned and if I remember correctly the OP felt that GN had become rather cliquey and that certain posters felt they could run/moderate threads and this made other, less robust, posters feel uncomfortable.

they are usually the ones that are trying to silence the others #SimonPegg

<laughs at own joke>

gulligranny Tue 15-Feb-22 22:23:35

I agree with tickingbird; "cliquey" is how a lot of things come over and if you're not in the know/swim/whatever you might as well not bother.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Feb-22 22:28:20

Galaxy

That's me beswitched is talking about just so everyone knows. Its years since I have been called provocative grin

Relax Galaxy it’s after the 9pm watershed. ?

Galaxy Tue 15-Feb-22 22:29:28

And you are still up urmstongran smile