Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Bra Straps!

(62 Posts)
janieuk Sun 18-Feb-18 21:32:58

A few of us had a discussion the other day about how our bra straps are always falling off our shoulders - sometimes it can be just minutes after we've put them on! Very annoying! Anybody have the same problem? Our shoulders haven't changed, so what causes it?

tanith Sun 18-Feb-18 21:49:01

Not sure what cause mine to always slide off the right shoulder, M&S do a bra with a silicone strip inside the strap and it works, or a crossover back sport bra works too. I agree it's most annoying.

Crafting Sun 18-Feb-18 23:37:46

John Lewis sell a small safety pin with a popper on a home end (difficult to describe) which you can pin at the shoulder which holds the straps in place. I've used it on strappy dresses and it works well.

kittylester Mon 19-Feb-18 06:25:40

Doesn't it mean that the strap needs shortening or the elastic has 'gone'?

JackyB Mon 19-Feb-18 06:39:31

I find this, too. Many jobs we do require dipping the shoulders - bending down to pick things up or reaching across the table to wipe it or put something down/pick something up.

The straps can be tightened, but if you tighten them too tight, your boobs fall out the bottom!

The silicone non-slip pad sounds a good idea, but doesn't it stick or pinch the skin?

Do you remember those tiny golden safety pins which old ladies used to keep all straps together (in those days, you would have a bra strap, a vest strap and a slip strap all getting tangled underneath your outer clothes!)

Once you have adjusted your bra to the optimum position (I must do this before I get dressed this morning!), I suppose the best way to keep it like that is to (a) never wear it again or (b) if (a) can't be avoided, never wash it again and (c) keep tightening it.

Till your boobs fall out the bottom.

Minty Mon 19-Feb-18 06:47:15

Oh I know exactly what you mean! The M&S one with non-slip straps used to be great but the last ones I bought didn't work so well. I came to the conclusion that my whole body is now slopping downwards!

OldMeg Mon 19-Feb-18 07:36:13

Oddly enough this is one problem I don’t have!

Christinefrance Mon 19-Feb-18 08:31:28

That made me chuckle JackyB I have hoisted my straps so often. Reminds me of the sketches Les Dawson used to do with Roy Barraclough, so funny.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Feb-18 08:33:44

Me too oldmeg think I have them quite tight though

Auntieflo Mon 19-Feb-18 08:43:35

I am now so old that I have grooves in my shoulders that my bra straps have made over time. Consequence, no slipping bra straps smile

HappyAmI Mon 19-Feb-18 10:11:11

Yes!!!!!! So glad it's not just me!!!! I spend all my time hitching straps back up. I have the band of my bra so tight I can't breathe and the straps really tight but nothing makes any difference.

blueberry1 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:13:41

Racer back bras are the answer to this problem-no slipping straps and more comfortable to wear.

Bubbe Mon 19-Feb-18 10:14:30

I'm so glad to hear other people have this irritation too. Its been a lifelong niggle of mine.

A few years ago I had a bolero made by a dressmaker and she informed me that one of my shoulders was shorter than the other AND that it sloped at a different angle. So I just thought this was the cause of bra-strap slips.

She did tell me that most people's bodies are different on each side, although I don't notice others regularly hoiking up their strap.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 10:16:57

My strap falls off one shoulder far more than the other.
I always think I must be very misshapen.

Alexa Mon 19-Feb-18 10:17:08

I have sloping shoulders and have to resign myself to not wearing bras with -far apart straps. This means in effect that I always choose the slightly less pretty bras with straps nearer the neck end of my shoulders. Always the total control style actually.

Squiffy Mon 19-Feb-18 10:23:35

I wonder if it's something to do with the angle at which the straps are attached to the cups part? Difficult to explain what I mean, but if the straps are attached more towards the middle of each cup, rather than the outer edge, that would make a difference, plus it would change the angle of the strap from sloping outwards at the shoulder. IYSWIM!

Diggingdoris Mon 19-Feb-18 10:40:16

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. It's always my left one that slips off, and I put it down to the elastic getting looser, but atter reading Bubbe' s message I wonder if it's because I have a curvature of the spine, so I'm not symmetrical.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 10:46:15

I think it is to do with where the straps are attached. Prettier bras tend to have them attached more towards the outer part of the cup, to enhance cleavage, I think.
More sturdy bras have them further in towards the middle.

mischief Mon 19-Feb-18 10:46:41

Could part of the problem be that some of us develop rounded shoulders as we get older. I sometimes catch a glimpse of myself in a shop window and have to pull my shoulders back. When I do this my straps stay on.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Feb-18 10:49:39

I find the strap falls off the side that I dont have my handbag over my shoulder.
I think that over the years I have held my 'handbag shoulder' more upright.

Katekeeprunning Mon 19-Feb-18 10:50:32

I wonder would a few drops of glue using a hot glue gun help (let the glue cool first)

grandtanteJE65 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:50:42

You used to be able to buy little ribbons with press studs that you sewed into the shoulders of dresses and blouses to secure bra straps with, but I haven't seen any for years!

Some of the problem is that the straps are made of slippy material, sometimes it is a matter of adjusting them correctly, which means putting on bra, taking it off, adjusting straps and putting it back on again a number of times until you get it right.

Has anyone tried tacking a thin piece of foam rubber to the back of a bra strap? It might help.

I have stopped sandal straps from slipping, or even worse digging in to my foot by putting a piece of the sticky-backed foam insulating tape for windows and doors on the inside of the offending strap. It does work.

Camelotclub Mon 19-Feb-18 10:59:39

I have the shoulders of an American footballer so no problem for me! I have the opposite prob though - if I wear a boat neck or wide neck top, the bra straps show clearly as they are nearer to my neck than the shoulders of the top (if you folllow). It's really annoying - means I either have to wear a flesh coloured bra or a coloured one as my whites go grubby so fast!

HazelGreen Mon 19-Feb-18 11:03:12

I used swear by the m and s silicone lined straps but then they stopped doing them? I was told problem with allergic reactions? I now have gone over entirely to elasticated croptops for fraction of price ans available in all sorts of colours.... like sorts bras but lighter. I have narrow shoulders.

Nandalot Mon 19-Feb-18 11:21:02

I used to have this problem quite badly but like Auntieflo, I now have deep grooves where the straps go.