Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Downton Abbey

(31 Posts)
rosesarered Sun 21-Sep-14 15:24:44

Will you be watching the new series?

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 19:45:20

Is Penstemmon on this thread? Because there are borders of wonderful penstemmons there, which inspired me to come home and plant more in our borders.

shysal Wed 24-Sep-14 08:41:49

Unfortunately George Clooney will only appear on a Downton Christmas charity sketch. I might watch Text Santa for once!

Lona Wed 24-Sep-14 11:55:56

Apparently there are two dogs in the Downton cast, and they have been replaced during previous series.

specki4eyes Fri 10-Oct-14 10:16:14

I've only just started watching Downton so I'm reserving judgement for the moment. But one thing I would like to observe (which almost has me reaching for the remote) is the ham acting of the Butler character. He is terrible! He never seems to do anything except creep about being holier than thou and pronouncing all his remarks in the most pompous and wooden manner. The other actors are all fairly believable although Maggie Smith overacts the Grande Dame a bit. Is nuance in acting dead?

I've recently re-watched Brideshead Revisited with Jeremy Irons and Laurence Olivier - now there IS an acting masterclass!

Eloethan Sat 11-Oct-14 00:34:22

I enjoy Downton - but as entertainment, not as being in any way representative of "downstairs" lives. Many of the plots are equally preposterous but I manage to suspend disbelief while it's on.

I think all the actors are good, except for Mary whose posh voice is, in my opinion, unnatural and monotonous.