Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Big Painting Challenge

(78 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 01-Mar-15 18:11:33

Anyone else watching this?

I'm enjoying it because the only thing I paint is furniture!

DH wants to know why we're watching paint dry?

Why is Una Stubbs wearing such weird clothes? Her skirts could be useful if you fancied a bit of shoplifting though hmm

Mishap Sun 08-Mar-15 22:41:16

I was very surprised at how poor some of the artists were at still life tonight. As a photographer, composition (as well as light) was always central to what I did, and I find it hard to believe that some of these artists did not seem to have the ability to create a proper tight composition to paint. They just strewed objects about in a scattered fashion. They did not seem to have a grasp of the concept of drawing the eye into the painting. Quite surprising that, as some of them seem to have real talent.

specki4eyes Sun 15-Mar-15 19:12:35

I'm sorry I looked to see if there was already a thread going, couldnt see on, so started a new one.

Tech department - could you link my last post into this one please?

Mishap Sun 15-Mar-15 19:27:38

Specki - I do understand where you are coming from - I too find this knockout format unnecessary and would rather see something more positive, where artists can be helped to develop. The challenges this week were truly impossible, and having to do them under time constraints is crazy.

Having said that, I am still glued to it, as it is interesting to watch the process and to get a grip on the problems - it makes one appreciate art more.

The ritual humiliation is superfluous - but I guess the contestants know what they are letting themselves in for. There have been so many of these programmes that no-one can be in doubt what they are in for.

Some of the judges' criticisms were wholly accurate and could have been useful pointers for future development.

Specki - you could copy and paste your previous contribution into this thread.

Eloethan Sun 15-Mar-15 19:37:12

I think the young woman with curly hair is especially good.

Lona Sun 15-Mar-15 19:41:36

I think the woman "judge" is very harsh and almost seems to enjoy making nasty remarks! "I snorted with laughter when I saw it" is hardly constructive criticism.

merlotgran Sun 15-Mar-15 19:51:03

I didn't like that remark either, Lona. Very hurtful.

Mishap Sun 15-Mar-15 19:55:39

Me neither. That is not necessary.

And the young woman (Claire?) is so good - she has real style. But watching her do it left-handed is quite giddying!

Eloethan Sun 15-Mar-15 21:01:30

I agree about the woman judge. Constructive criticism is helpful but I don't think some of the remarks she makes are constructive.

Deedaa Sun 15-Mar-15 21:52:33

The criticism is nothing like as bad as we used to get when I was at Art School. I was reduced to tears more than once - but it did force me to improve. Don't make the mistake of thinking that drawing and painting are relaxing hobbies, they are stressful, often depressing and, just occasionally, incredibly exciting.

hildajenniJ Sun 15-Mar-15 22:29:16

I am so envious of them all. I haven't an artistic bone in my body. I would love to be able to draw and paint. I'm not bad with the emulsion though.

Granart Mon 16-Mar-15 14:45:20

I paint in oils and I would far rather someone assessed my work honestly and constructively than made kind remarks about it. Because that would help me improve. Having said that I agree that not all of the criticism is constructive and I would certainly not want to be on television. And I also think that the presenters are dire.

trisher Mon 16-Mar-15 19:50:55

Love the programme and think some of the comments are very justified. As for Una Stubbs I think she looks great. It makes a change to see someone dressed differently. She doesn't look her age (she's 77) but she doesn't do what so many older women seem to do these days, that is, squeeze herself into something tight and form fitting in the mistaken belief that this makes them look younger. She looks comfortable but not scruffy. The hair and those great glasses just complement the dress.

Mishap Mon 16-Mar-15 19:54:31

I agree about Una trisher - and I think her high voice is not contrived, so do not feel she should be criticised for that. I think she handles the programme well - she is enthusiastic and kindly, but not OTT as some presenters are. I think she has it spot on.

campodol Mon 16-Mar-15 20:26:33

I love this programme and also really like Una Stubbs ,the only thing is i always think of aunt sally , sorry Una

J52 Tue 17-Mar-15 07:17:18

I love the name 'Lachlan Goudie', very suitable for someone artistic. His father's a Scottish artist, so maybe they chose it hoping he'd be an artist too? x

rosesarered Tue 24-Mar-15 20:39:57

Well, some of you are kinder to Una Stubbs than the rest of us!I don't care about her tent like dresses, I assumed she was trying to hide how thin she is.It's her presenting skills that most of us have a problem with, a silly child like voice and an amazed expression.Since she rarely says anything about painting, it doesn't matter that she is an artist, I would rather have seen Gloria Hunniford, who has excellent presenting skills and is not annoying.
The show is very good apart from her, and I think the girl with long curly hair or the older man will win in the end.

NotTooOld Tue 24-Mar-15 20:55:40

I've only seen this programme once (this week) and I thought it was quite good. I agree it would be better if no-one actually got knocked out because then we could see how they improve. As for Una, she's different, which I always think is a good thing. I believe she is a pretty good amateur painter as I remember seeing her in another prog some time ago were she was doing the actual painting. Do you remember her as the daughter in 'Til Death Us Do Part'? Her screen husband was Tony Booth - Cherie Blair's father.

Deedaa Tue 24-Mar-15 22:37:00

I always remember Una as one of the girls in Summer Holiday. She looked and sounded exactly the same then. I was desperate to have my hair look like hers I remember, but mine was much too fine and lank.

rosequartz Tue 24-Mar-15 23:30:00

I remember Una in Summer Holiday.
And didn't she go out with Cliff for a while?

She always seems ditsy but she is probably a smart cookie!

NotTooOld Wed 25-Mar-15 12:21:40

OOh - did she go out with Cliff? Do you remember Cliff and Sue Barker snogging at Wimbledon? Why has he never married, do you think? Perhaps he is still hankering after Una after all these years?

rosesarered Wed 25-Mar-15 14:10:37

You think?!!

NotTooOld Wed 25-Mar-15 14:29:58

Or Sue Barker! Love all.

Deedaa Wed 25-Mar-15 21:09:08

I think at the time Sue didn't want to give up her tennis career. He was also supposed to be quite keen on Olivia Newton John.

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 21:23:12

I thought he was gay.

NotTooOld Wed 25-Mar-15 21:48:54

Is he gay? Why would he be snogging Sue Barker, though? My theory is, he's bisexual - or simply celibate! Either way, he's worn very well! I used to prefer him to Elvis but now I don't.