Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Real Marigold Hotel (series 2)

(111 Posts)
gillybob Wed 22-Feb-17 13:33:06

Is anyone following the new series?

I watched on catch up last night and after only one episode Sheila Ferguson (one of the 3 degrees) is coming across as a right bossy boots and likes her own way. I am rather warming to Rusty Lee (who's laugh I used to find very irritating) and Amanda Barrie who seems to be quite down to earth. Blimey I was so disappointed to see how old Paul Nicolas looked, considering he was a bit of a heart throb back in the day. I am looking forward to seeing how this series goes.

Anniebach Wed 22-Feb-17 13:54:54

I watched it, haven't recovered from seeing how Paul Nicolas has aged , not helped by the fact I watched Just Good Friends recently

gillybob Wed 22-Feb-17 14:02:56

He was so lovely in Just Good Friends wasn't he?

He looks like a really old man now. sad

Anniebach Wed 22-Feb-17 14:04:19

He was Gilly, where has that naughty smile gone

willsmadnan Wed 22-Feb-17 14:13:25

It put in a fleeting appearance last week Annie. That's when the penny (no pun intended)dropped. It really was Paul Nicholas and not some old bloke with the same name.

NanaandGrampy Wed 22-Feb-17 14:27:48

We're watching it and we're taken aback by Paul Nicholas's appearance too. Sheila Fergusson came across as a total prima Donna !

BlueBelle Wed 22-Feb-17 14:30:31

I thought it was rather predictable and maybe they should have stayed at just the original one Paul Nicolas looks quite ill I think and Lionel Blair is so irritating, he is harmless but such an old queen ( I know he's a married man but more camp that a bottle of coffee) Rustie Lee is the only one that I feel I could manage an evening with I think she's genuinely a nice person Amanda looks so miserable all the time I wont stay in firvit but I ll watch if nothing else on

Alima Wed 22-Feb-17 14:32:59

I think the group is much nicer on the whole than the last lot. I used to love Paul Nicholas in Just Good Friends. Yes, he looks older but there again so do all of us and he comes across as a decent person. I too think Sheila Fergusson comes across as an old bossy boots and Bill Oddie as well, odd. The one I can't get my head around is that doctor, cannot remember her name, what on earth has she done to her face. It can't be natural.

shysal Wed 22-Feb-17 14:38:05

I saw Rustie Lee on TV the other day telling of how ill she was during and after filming.
www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-02-07/rustie-lee-is-still-unwell-four-months-after-picking-up-mystery-illness-while-filming-the-real-marigold-hotel

gillybob Wed 22-Feb-17 14:59:49

I thought the same about doctor Miriam Stoppard Alima (my spelling might be a bit out) her face looks like a frozen mask. I was watching thinking, now who among them hasn't had cosmetic surgery?

I have always thought that Bill Oddie lived up to his name too. Very Odd.

I always thought that Lional Blair was gay. So was quite surprised when he mentioned his wife.

KatyK Wed 22-Feb-17 16:29:39

Someone on TV the other day said Miriam Stoppard looks like Michael Jackson - I can't watch her now without thinking about that. I couldn't help scrutinising her - she's 79 after all - wondering what she had had done, was that her own hair etc? A bit shallow of me I suppose.

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 16:32:51

Bill Oddie has suffered from serious depression in the past, an probably still does to a degree.

I hadn't realised Miriam Stoppard was 79 - how odd she looks!

gillybob Wed 22-Feb-17 16:34:40

Yes KatyK I was trying to place who she reminded me of..... and yes, it's Michael Jackson!

Jane10 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:18:03

I think Miriam S was absolutely plastered with the wrong colour of foundation make up. Sheila is awful. What a self absorbed besom!

KatyK Wed 22-Feb-17 18:12:16

gilly My DH was saying 'oh she looks like a little elf' and I was trying to think who she reminded me of and yes it's Michael. Sorry Miriam.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Feb-17 18:45:27

I don't think it was foundation I think shes like Carol vordeman doesn't know where to stop with unnatural 'beauty' yes I can see the Michael Jackson frozen face look Another who looks like that is Pricilla Presley

Anniebach Wed 22-Feb-17 21:25:19

I like Bill Oddie, so eccentric at times , eccentric people are so interesting.

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 21:41:15

Felt so sorry for Lionel Blair with his distended stomach problem - he's always been so slim and lithe, it must be terrible for him. Strange that no doctors in the UK know why his treatment for prostate cancer could have caused it.

wot Wed 22-Feb-17 21:45:31

I think Miriam looks really pretty!

BlueBelle Wed 22-Feb-17 22:40:44

Really Wot !!!

rosesarered Thu 23-Feb-17 09:13:17

I am really enjoying this series, not often that a programme is about older people and the problems they have.I feel sorry for Lionel as well, his distended stomach problem is a strange one, you would think that doctors would know the cause!
I thought that Bill was brave, admitting his bi-polar and his impotence.I think that Amanda is lonely in life ( could be wrong) but she often looks a bit lost,Sheila is pretty awful, Rusty is rather nice, Paul is aloof but interesting,Dennis is fun and normal, and Miriam is .....what? I don't know as yet, so rather enigmatic.Her face does not look right for her age, nor her hair.

rosesarered Thu 23-Feb-17 09:15:46

I like to see India and read about it, but wouldn't want to go there really.I have Indian friends who also don't want to go there ( they have to, now and then to see relatives) but say 'too hot, too dirty, too many beggars'.

NonnaW Thu 23-Feb-17 09:56:20

Lionel Blair is not alone in his distended stomach problem, my DH has that too, due to the hormone treatment for prostate cancer. However, LB seems to think he'll find a miracle cure, and that his food intake has nothing to do with it. Eating everything in sight doesn't help! Agreed it must be hard for him given how slim he used to be but he does come across as self-obsessed, like Sheila Ferguson.
I rather like Dennis Taylor in this, and Amanda. I too was taken aback at seeing Paul Nicholas, but the grin is still there. Bill did explain about being bi-polar.

Jayanna9040 Thu 23-Feb-17 10:23:51

I saw it for the first time last night. Gosh they are self obsessed but fascinating ! Tell me who is Sheila Fergusson?

Cherrytree59 Thu 23-Feb-17 10:33:21

Jayanna Shelia Ferguson is singer from the group The Three Degrees

I think Prince Charles saw her as his 'pin up' Girl.