Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dr Foster

(83 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 07-Sep-17 08:03:12

Anyone else watching the second series of this. It looks like its going to be just as good as the first one.

ninathenana Thu 07-Sep-17 08:05:31

I'm one of the few people that didn't watch the first series, so won't bother with this one either.

Greyduster Thu 07-Sep-17 08:08:54

I may be a lone voice here but I didn't like the last series and I couldn't see how they could squeeze anymore mileage out of a second series. More of the same? She is a serial nutter and needs locking up. (But I LOVE Suranne Jones!).

Anniepops Thu 07-Sep-17 08:11:16

I am intrigued by all the publicity about this series return so would love to come across the first series if it's being repeated on some other channel. Anyone advise?

merlotgran Thu 07-Sep-17 09:28:49

I think it's great. You have a nasty, deceiving (now ex) husband moving back to torment his former wife who happens to be a vindictive nutter.

As the new wife said, 'Maybe it will be peace and quiet from now on?'

No chance! grin

Feel sorry for their poor son though.

Nandalot Thu 07-Sep-17 10:01:03

I'm sorry, three of us watching it decided unanimously to turn it off mid-party scene, She is being totally stupid. Yes, I think his spitefulness is coming across well but she was just getting us too wound up!

cornergran Thu 07-Sep-17 10:04:38

enjoyed the first series but struggled with this episode, as merlot says she is just being daft. Will watch the next episode in hope and decide then. I'm hoping the senior partner in our GP practice lives their life differently hmm

Day6 Thu 07-Sep-17 14:32:30

I do not like the way it's being filmed. Lots of gloomy shots, no dialogue, eyes in the rear view mirror....and absolutely LOADS AND LOADS of dreadful violins being scraped and piano keys being plonked EXTREMELY LOUDLY throughout, to inform us it's all getting a bit tense. It was so loud and replaced dialogue.

Ugh...modern televised dramas. Will the producers stop trying to make them deep and meaningful (they are not) and spare us their trendy (yawn) filming techniques. I have noticed a trend for the grey scenes, meaningful stares and awful noise drowning everything out. It's becoming tedious.

As for the plot...both main characters should be in secure prisons.

I cannot sympathise with the Dr. She is seriously unhinged and social services would have removed that boy from the house years ago.

I am not gripped. None of the characters seem real, not even those playing bit parts.

The teacher (patient) surely would have had the sense to run a mile when she got drunk dragged him along to gate crash her ex husband's party? He taught her son too. In reality he'd have removed himself from that situation, pronto.

As for the bedroom scenes with ex and his still fancying her - I was squirming. Cringe-worthy, unrealistic and at that point I decided if I didn't watch another episode I really wouldn't care.

Verdict : Badly made, lacking in any realism and extremely sleazy and seedy.

Kateykrunch Thu 07-Sep-17 14:57:38

It was a load of twaddle, tosh, rubbish, we switched off part way through!

mumofmadboys Thu 07-Sep-17 15:42:32

I watched it on catch up today and enjoyed it. Looking forward to next episode. Of course it is not realistic but real lives would make dramas a bit boring!

Greyduster Thu 07-Sep-17 16:21:46

Yes momb, but a modicum of credibility wouldn't have come amiss!

LadyGracie Thu 07-Sep-17 16:30:10

No one would have been able to live a normal every day life especially with a responsible job as a GP, for two years with their heads so mixed up!
I'm being polite, she's bonkers!

seacliff Thu 07-Sep-17 16:33:47

I thought I'd like it, but really didn't. Worse than the first series so far... So very unbelievable, and both main characters are unattractive. I MAY give it one more go. Very disappointed.

Welshwife Thu 07-Sep-17 16:55:19

We didn't watch the first series but DD is staying with us this week and she did watch it so was able to fill in any necessary info.
I thought she was totally mad and he is a nasty piece of work. Not sure if we will watch any more - see how we feel next week. On the other hand I am thoroughly enjoying 'When the Boat comes in'!!!!!

nanaK54 Thu 07-Sep-17 17:10:11

grin clearly I am easily pleased, I really enjoyed the last series and first episode of the new series

Lillie Thu 07-Sep-17 17:21:41

I'm rather enjoying it, and although it is somewhat unrealistic, I admire Doctor Foster for putting on a façade at work and in her relationships. I saw her frantic driving round the neighbourhood as being symbolic of her inner turmoil, and the looking in the rear view mirror kind of suggested looking back at the wretched experiences of the past which had led to this.
I'm looking forward to more.

grumppa Thu 07-Sep-17 18:45:02

Utter rubbish and a terrible sound track.

morethan2 Thu 07-Sep-17 19:03:02

I didn't enjoy it either. I know it's a drama but really! Would a g.p still be practicing after her behaviour in the first series. As for flirting and going on a date with a patient I'm sure that's unethical. I love Suzanne Jones and think she's a very talented actresses and have enjoyed her in other roles. This one is the exception.

maryeliza54 Thu 07-Sep-17 20:25:06

I want that house - but not the ex

Iam64 Thu 07-Sep-17 21:24:33

I watched episode one of series 2 because of the positive comments I'd heard about the first series. Surrane Jones is so good and so watchable but, I didn't like her character one bit. Her former husband was beyond sleezy but the way she behaved with him was so unpleasant and unattractive.
Their son is in dire straits isn't he.
I can't imagine I'll watch any more.

Izzywizzy Thu 07-Sep-17 22:28:58

I absolutely loved the first series, thought it was cleverly done but this first episode was dreadful.
I want to like it but the awful 'music' that kept being played and built up just in case you hadn't twigged on that it was all getting serious drove me crazy. I love her I think she's great but really all these constant looks and stares with no dialogue so your constantly waiting for something to happen or someone to speak.
Sorry Surrane but this is rubbish I'm sad to say. I will try one more episode just out of curiosity.

Alima Tue 12-Sep-17 07:27:34

Just caught up with the new series. I like it, it is well done although the violins were a bit excessive. Wondering where the mind games will lead. Those of us with an idiot (aka controlling barsteward) in our lives have something to think about. I agree, poor boy.

Grandma2213 Mon 18-Sep-17 03:07:49

I enjoyed it despite the lack of realism and the ever present music which I hate in everything I watch or hear. Anyone who has been in a similar situation can empathise with her craziness!!

NanaandGrampy Mon 18-Sep-17 08:04:31

I liked the first series but seriously ---I cant make up my mind who should be locked up first????

Does anyone really have the balls to wander , in the middle of the party , up to look through the drawers in the master bedroom?

Its getting ridiculous and I think I shall struggle to watch much more.

Anniepops Mon 18-Sep-17 08:48:35

I am hooked. I have now watched the first series on catch up and am into the second episode of series two. Yes, the characters may be rather extreme but I find myself identifying with the strong emotions displayed by Gemma. When you have experienced the ultimate betrayal it does tend to send you into a mad, crazy, surreal world. Many of the things she is doing went on in my head but fortunately no further. My heart goes out to the son though and the ex husband is beyond cruel.