Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Saturday night TV just awful

(109 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 11-Jan-20 20:01:35

Started off watching The Greatest Dancer but had to stop. I couldn't bear that thing they do where you can hear what the audience and the panel are saying to each other during the performance. I then began watching The Masked Singer but Davina McCall was unbearable on it. So over the top! Saturday night viewing has just gone down the pan - it's so banal it's just dire. Thank God for Netflix!

BlueSapphire Sat 11-Jan-20 22:48:06

Yes, rubbish tv on a Saturday night. Although a friend recommended 'The Mallorca Files' which was on BBC1 at about 5.30. A bit of a light-hearted police drama set in Mallorca (of course). A British female police detective working with a rather dishy Mallorcan detective. Wastes 45 minutes quite pleasantly! A bit like Death in Paradise or Bergerac.

Nothing else on though I did watch the Bones Detectives which was interesting.

Now got BT Music on the tv, listening to the latest Alfie Boe and Michael Ball album, which is very good.

Callistemon Sat 11-Jan-20 23:14:59

DH chose a programme about HMS Invincible followed by the one about ordinary Victorians with Tony Robinson.
I didn't argue because the rest looked dire so I tried to teach myself a new crochet stitch.

Our lives are so exciting!

Then Casualty, I didn't see Charlie so didn't he get paid tonight?

Callistemon Sat 11-Jan-20 23:16:43

Yes, phoenix, sealover is right!

shock

Chestnut Sat 11-Jan-20 23:18:46

I don't think I've watched any Saturday night programmes for yonks. I don't like reality shows of any kind and don't watch Casualty. I can usually find a good drama I've already recorded and there are some old films on Talking Pictures. The early 1960s new wave movies (kitchen sink dramas) can be absolutely fascinating as I was too young to see them at the time. The clothes, the cars, the streets....just amazing to see them now. It's like time travel.

annodomini Sat 11-Jan-20 23:32:20

I miss the glamour and glitz of Strictly! And I think it's a shame that Dr Who has vacated its erstwhile Saturday evening slot. I have watched Casualty since Charlie was a lad and it just became a habit! I'm glad I subscribe to Netflix as there's always something there that I can watch when the terrestrial channels are showing rubbish - and often old rubbish at that!

annep1 Sat 11-Jan-20 23:35:49

I found Carmina Burana on youtube from 1994 Proms with subtitles if anyone is interested in adding it to their watch list.

sodapop Sun 12-Jan-20 09:13:28

Why is it that some nights there is nothing but rubbish on TV then other nights good programmes are on at the same time. Yes I know I don't have to watch TV every night.

Witzend Sun 12-Jan-20 09:17:17

We (nearly) always like the foreign crime thing on BBC4 at 9 pm. Currently a Norwegian one called Wisting.
Usually record it or watch on catch up though.

Sparklefizz Sun 12-Jan-20 09:22:06

Mr.Gravy and I are disagreeing on "hedgehog" he is favouring Michael Ball, for some reason I think it maybe Alexander Armstrong

It's too deep a voice for Michael Ball, I think. It sounds like someone with more of a trained voice - perhaps Alfie Boe? Goodness knows why I watched some of it last night. shock I must be completely mad!

Jane10 Sun 12-Jan-20 09:23:36

I think that people of 16-24 will be the ones out on a Saturday night. I don't bother with the mainstream channels at all. I record things over the week and watch them instead. I do love BBC 4. There's nearly always an interesting art or history programme available on the i player.

rubysong Sun 12-Jan-20 09:28:49

TV has mostly been awful for ages. Christmas was dire.
Last night we watched a recorded Father Brown and a Midsomer Murder, then the Ab Fab film. We whiz through ITV programmes adverts.
A neighbour who works in ITV told me that it is all aimed at young people as they are susceptible to advertising whereas older people are not so much, they know what they will spend their money on.

Lilypops Sun 12-Jan-20 09:34:26

I have watched Casualty now and again and I always think Charlie,s acting is awful, he always seems to be looking away from the actor in front of him as if he,s looking at an autocue !! He has done that for years , maybe he had trouble remembering his lines ,

Franbern Sun 12-Jan-20 09:51:54

Although I usually just watch something recorded on my Humax on these desperately bad Saturday nights, I did try to watch the Best Dancer programme. Was not impressed. I tried last season and gave up when a beautiful, highly trained classical dancer did not get through, whereas groups with some very young child got the 'Ah' vote. If it depends on audience voting, then surely the larger groups start with a bigger advantage.
Watch Casualty, always have - agree that Charley never looks at the people he is talking to, always over their shoulders. I have assumed he is reading a prompt.
Sunday night, at present is too good, needing to record so much. Would be better if Dr Who returned to its old Saturday evening slot Not sure why it was moved from there.
I always record any programme I want to watch that is on a station with adverts so when I watch it, I can just fast forward through those adverts. Although I watch a lot (maybe too much) television, I do not know ANY of the adverts.
Whereas, I can understand the commercial stations trying to direct their programmes towards younger viewers with money - would not think this would be the 16-24 years group. Firstly, they do not have much money - and secondly, surely they are not watching tv on Saturday or Sunday nights. Indeed, most of this age group do not watch much tv at all.
It is us oldies who spend more time - particularly in the evenings, in front of the box.

Pudding123 Sun 12-Jan-20 10:04:26

Yes Saturday eveningTV is dire,I watched Casualty once about 20 years ago ,never again not interested in any reality rubbish so watched a Jonathan Creek on Netflix then did a crossword then bed.

TerriBull Sun 12-Jan-20 10:20:25

We only watch the BBC4 9 pm offerings, Wisting is Okish., none of them are ever as good as Spiral. Have to agree with you OP, the offerings are generally a load of crap sad Thank God for Netflix..............and a good book!

Mollygo Sun 12-Jan-20 10:31:32

National Geographic, history or, last night Virgin River on Netflix. The programs mentioned by OP are dire.

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Jan-20 10:35:50

Saturday night has always been for family viewing really. We’d have watched this sort of stuff (the singing and dancing shows) with our young teenagers back in the day, but none of it appeals now. That’s not to say it shouldn’t be on. smile

We usually watch something we’ve recorded, and we’ve always plenty to choose from - I really can’t agree that our TV’s dire! But DH was out last night so I ended up watching Casualty, which hasn’t changed much over the years, and the Ab Fab film, which was pretty bad. But then there was Sara Pascoe’s stand up, which I loved. So on balance, not all bad. Back to the recorded stuff next week though!

Newdawn Sun 12-Jan-20 10:36:55

I am signing up for Netflix today..I would like not to have to pay the BBC licence as most BBC is rubbish imo

4allweknow Sun 12-Jan-20 10:43:02

Have to agree, Saturday night tv is abysmal. Got out my crocheting then had a look at Ab Fab which turned out to be a repeat. Amazon film for me. Charlie on Casualty is paid £400,000 a year. How he has lasted so long goodness knows.

glammagran Sun 12-Jan-20 10:44:38

We watched both eps of Wisting back to back on BBC 4. Not up there with the best but we usually watch the foreign offerings. Spiral is the best!

missdeke Sun 12-Jan-20 11:07:38

I agree that prime time Saturday tv is a bit dire, all that whooping and shrieking is sooo irritating. Luckily a new channel has just popped up on my tv, 57 on Freeview, The Smithsonian channel. There have been some interesting programmes on there.

Tgt1 Sun 12-Jan-20 11:12:50

Totally agree, Masked Singer is awful

EMMF1948 Sun 12-Jan-20 11:19:58

Saturday TV has always been dreadful, I watched White House Farm from the box. I thought it had happened much longer ago than '87.

Juicylucy Sun 12-Jan-20 11:20:12

I record programs during the week and if Saturday night TV is pants I catch up on what I’ve recorded.

Lesley60 Sun 12-Jan-20 11:27:07

I think Saturday night TV has been awful for a few years now
Do the planners think everyone over 40 goes out, because all that seems to be on is reality TV I begrudge paying my license fee and Sky subscription when it’s all catered for young people.
I too switch to Netflix or amazon prime.