Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone else fed up with......

(180 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 04-Aug-21 20:54:18

All the 'stars' doing travel programmes. Just seen two reminders about Fern Britain going to Cornwall and Paul Merton in a camper van with a lady I've never heard of. We have had programmes about Scotland and Wales too quite recently. Is it due to covid and the TV companies have run out of dramas etc so they resort to travel programmes as they can be socially distanced. They are nice to watch but there seems to be so many.

Lillie Thu 05-Aug-21 14:11:14

i think fern does live in Cornwall

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 14:13:57

there are a lot but i must admit, I enjoy antiques road trip blush

flaxwoven Thu 05-Aug-21 14:39:47

Totally agree. Apart from Chris Packham's walk which was great.

nadateturbe Thu 05-Aug-21 14:40:37

I am really enjoying Richard E Grant's travels. So interesting.
There are a lot, but I I like them, especially as I can't travel much. Some celebrities are very good at presenting them.

Pittcity Thu 05-Aug-21 15:52:47

I enjoyed the one where Sandy Toksvig went to quirky UK places and the accomodation in the Mortimer and Whitehouse fishing programme. Both give me inspiration for future holidays.

I agree that yes there are too many of this type of programme.

Daisend1 Thu 05-Aug-21 16:58:05

Travelsafar.
I live north Cornwall and will be watching, with great interest, Ferns ' 'My Cornwall'.

Callistemon Thu 05-Aug-21 22:10:23

Despite misgivings, I enjoyed it Daisend1.
Fern presented some interesting facts, spoke to some knowledgeable people and visited places off the normal track.

Pammie1 Thu 05-Aug-21 22:13:00

I agree. Too many celebs getting freebies in this way.

Callistemon Thu 05-Aug-21 22:19:04

I think Fern knows Cornwall very well, she lives there and used to be a presenter on Westward TV and then Spotlight South-West

lemsip Thu 05-Aug-21 22:21:53

I am sick and tired of the celebs advertising funerals..........debbie McGee in particular.

Lucca Thu 05-Aug-21 22:22:21

Whitewavemark2

“Write around the World with Richard E Grant”

Is rather good though.

Isn’t it ?! I like the premise and loved the Naples one.

nadateturbe Thu 05-Aug-21 22:30:16

Lucca

Whitewavemark2

“Write around the World with Richard E Grant”

Is rather good though.

Isn’t it ?! I like the premise and loved the Naples one.

We've watched the first two. So interesting.

mokryna Fri 06-Aug-21 21:09:29

I really enjoyed watching Motorhoming with Merton and Webstar managing to drive a very big motorhome for the first time. A married couple who have a good sense of humor.

MayBee70 Sat 07-Aug-21 00:22:58

He met her when he toured with his impro chums show which was really funny so it’s no wonder they work well together. Is it on 5?

nanna8 Sat 07-Aug-21 00:29:09

I suppose they think because we don’t travel much we might like armchair travel. I’d much prefer things like Vera where they have lots of wonderful scenery round Northumbria as well as a story.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 07-Aug-21 10:33:25

There is an ‘off’ button!

Lillie Sat 07-Aug-21 10:34:15

the motorhoming prog with gordon, gino and fred is good because they visit places in europe where produce is grown
then they cook the meals
also they visit artists and classical singers
and they do silly boy daring sports

Naninka Sat 07-Aug-21 10:36:45

We're really enjoying Clarkson's Farm. Anyone else laughing at his 'great ideas'?

Annette60 Sat 07-Aug-21 10:37:00

I watched that too - it was toe curlingly embarrassing !!

coastalgran Sat 07-Aug-21 10:37:49

Loads of them, Richard E Grant is doing one as well as all the others mentioned. It is cheap to make a programme like this and as people can't really travel too far it means a holiday from the sofa. It just lets you see the people that the TV channels really like as they have given them work and not others even if it is just fronting a nice travel show. I'm not so keen on the fishing in Scotland one, Les Dennis seems a bit too grumpy all the time and we are not seeing enough of the places of interest. Some others are great, love Susan Calman in her campervan and when she did the seaside resorts.

Rumpunch Sat 07-Aug-21 10:39:37

Its not the travel programmes I mind it is the celebrities doing them. I agree, who wouldn't like an expenses paid trip with access to places we wouldn't get by ourselves. I would like to volunteer !

missdeke Sat 07-Aug-21 10:42:49

I did watch Paul Merton Last night as my brother has just bought a motorhome (which incidentally I saw and thought I wouldn't mind moving into!) and I was interested in how they got on. It was ok but they did show another motorhome which cost £650,000!!! Even room for a car in the boot. The mind boggles...

libra10 Sat 07-Aug-21 10:43:21

I don't mind watching the travel shows, can be very interesting.

It's all the flippin' repeats that do mi 'ed in!

MaggsMcG Sat 07-Aug-21 10:45:00

Never watched them. Not even before COVID. I am quite happy finding new Drama (or even old favourites) to watch on Amazon Prime or Netflix. Or even Disney+. If I could find a way of being able to watch TV (including Sky) without having to fund the ridiculous BBC rubbish I would. However the legal way to do it is too complicated so I carry on subsidising a dinosaur for now.

Bijou Sat 07-Aug-21 10:46:50

Not only are there a lot of these celebs in these programmes but they keep repeating them. I like Simon Reeve and Michael Palin? Too many cookery programmes. People watch them and then go out and buy a takeaway.