Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Strictly 2026- Remembering Sparklefizz.

(211 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 19-Sept-26 12:38:39

Just a reminder that the revamped Strictly starts tonight, 7.25pm.

I’ve posted this as Sparklefizz, who always kicked Strictly off, is no longer here, sadly.

RIP Sparklefizz.

šŸ’ƒ

Calendargirl Sun 27-Sept-26 08:13:37

FGT2

Jo Jo (upstairs) used to be one of the pro dancers, and extremely good. He always got the best out of his partners.
Always very camp.

Not sure if it was his decision to stop being a pro, or if the Beeb offered him one of the presenting jobs instead.

Either way, all of the presenting team are new to this particular job.

They seem a bit of a mismatched bunch, in height if nothing else. Josh looks like a little bespectacled schoolboy beside the other two.

Early days, but none of them seem comfortable in their roles yet, both Emma and Josh waiting for their cues at one stage, and Jo Jo talking over the screaming and shouting (the latter always irritating and needless).

They are not five year olds at a party.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 08:18:48

Dolly17

There's some good contestants this year, not sure about the 3 presenters this week. I wanted to like them but it felt a bit clunky, especially Johannes. I wonder whether they will swap roles next week?

It does ā€œfeelā€ clunky but I think (hope) things will settle.

Emma is good, but she’s also the most experienced presenter by a long long shot, hopefully she’ll help the other two, but despite all this, I’m loving it all!

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 08:21:25

I love JoJo and I actually think Josh can be quite funny, and I really like Emma and I love the judges!

There were some great dancers and there seems a bit less chit chat between the actual dancing and less rehearsal stuff. So far 8 out of 10 hahaha

petra Sun 27-Sept-26 08:30:21

Charleygirl5

I have watched Strictly each year, but tonight I could only tolerate 30 minutes. I couldn't stand Jojo's outfit, didn't like him talking to the contestants, prefer to watch him dance. 3 presenters aren't needed and II can't stand Josh.

For me there was too much padding and squealing.

Like many here I never missed Strickly.
But last night the sunset was more interesting.

Me and my friend ( lives next door) text a sunset alert to each other when there’s a stunner. We then go out into the garden and discuss and wonder at the beauty of it.
I think the Strickly romance is over.

YorkLady Sun 27-Sept-26 09:06:42

Same for me….unfortunately it has lost its sparkle. I was actually bored at a lot of it.
I wonder if they will change the format? Maybe have a different person doing Claudatorium every week (Rylan, La Voix etc)
Please get rid of the high pitch squealing and screaming…..it’s just not needed

cornergran Sun 27-Sept-26 09:21:15

Reaction here can be summed up by we enjoyed the dancing while struggling with the presenting. JoJo just didn’t gel as a presenter and the outfit was ott, it’s a shame he’s still not dancing though. Josh seemed out of his depth and very uncertain. Emma we thought would be far better on her own. We’ll watch again as we did enjoy the majority of the dancing.

Grandmadinosaur Sun 27-Sept-26 09:29:06

I enjoyed the dancing but due to numbers at the start of the series it went on too long for me. I like Lauren and how she gets the best out of her partners so the dog man may do well ditto Katya and John who was a huge surprise.

Still don’t see why we need 3 presenters. I do love Jo Jo and wish he was still dancing.

ferry23 Sun 27-Sept-26 10:47:49

This new series really needs to "bed down" - but quite quickly. So many faces I didn't recognise - a combination of new pros and celebrities I've never heard of, I lost interest from time to time.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan of Johannes and he's no presenter for sure.

Like her or not, Tess was an intrinsic part of Strictly and Claudia is unique so impossible to replace. I like Josh but I'm not sure this is the right place for him.

The original premise of the show was to watch celebrities - the majority of whom were very recognisable - with little or no dance experience, learn from their pro partners and finish up being able to do a half decent dance. We're a long way from that now and I'm not sure in a good way.

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 10:58:16

I agree with ferry23.

This is becoming more about the presenters than the contestants simply because they are an odd mix. Emma with another presenter, male or female, would be fine, not sure who.

Josh looks ill at ease and Johannes is simply in the wrong place. He should be dancing, partnering a celebrity and bringing the best out of them.

Casdon Sun 27-Sept-26 11:26:21

I was watching the contestants. The presenters were perhaps on screen for a maximum of half an hour between them, always talking to the celebrities themselves, so the presenters weren’t my focus at all.

ferry23 Sun 27-Sept-26 12:14:35

Casdon

I was watching the contestants. The presenters were perhaps on screen for a maximum of half an hour between them, always talking to the celebrities themselves, so the presenters weren’t my focus at all.

I think the fact that people are commenting so much about the presenters is more because they're not really fitting the audience expectations. If the show ran seamlessly with appropriate and professional presenting, we wouldn't be focusing on them.

We tend to notice more when things are wrong than when they're right.

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 12:18:25

Casdon

I was watching the contestants. The presenters were perhaps on screen for a maximum of half an hour between them, always talking to the celebrities themselves, so the presenters weren’t my focus at all.

I meant the chats on social media.

Casdon Sun 27-Sept-26 12:44:54

I agree JenniRen, in that it seems disproportionate to concentrate on what to me is a peripheral issue, the dancing and judges comments were far more important. .

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 15:48:19

We tend to notice more when things are wrong than when they're right.
That's probably why. They don't seem to 'gel' somehow.

At least no-one was knocked out this week, Casdon

Casdon Sun 27-Sept-26 15:54:59

True, and on this week’s performance I don’t think the people I’d have bet on being the worst before the show started being the first to go, there were good dancers among them. Appearances can be deceptive.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sun 27-Sept-26 16:07:35

I think Josh (as a comedian) would be better upstairs. Chatting with the contestants while the judges work out their scores. JoJo wasn’t much good at it apart from gushing. To be honest I found him a bit OTT.

Calendargirl Sun 27-Sept-26 18:08:46

Oh dear!

Just looked at the online tv guide for next Sunday.

Sure enough, there is a Strictly Results Show at 7.10pm.

Really thought (hoped) that the revamp meant that we would find out the results later on Saturday night.

Everyone now is well aware that the dance off takes place then, and the eliminations often get leaked online.

The Beeb still spinning it out for all its worth.

Mollygo Mon 28-Sept-26 11:25:01

Calendargirl

Sure enough, there is a Strictly Results Show at 7.10pm.

Possible reasons?

I read that they’re aiming at a younger audience.
Maybe the BBC thought their attention span might not last till late on Sunday.

When it was aimed at an older audience the BBC presumed they all went to bed early so wouldn’t watch it late on Saturday.

merlotgran Mon 28-Sept-26 12:13:03

I would love to know what the BBC calls a younger audience.

My feminist 27 yr old DGD gets so angry about the patronising of older women on the show that when Melanie Walters took to the dance floor she wrote this on our group chat:

ā€˜Oh, cue the….Even though you’re older than God, you could actually be the oldest woman alive, You’re showing women everywhere that THEY CAN DO THIS…comments’ šŸ˜‚

Not everyone ā€˜gets’ my DGD but if the Beeb thinks they’re improving the show for her age group they’re wide of the mark.

nanaK54 Mon 28-Sept-26 13:25:20

merlotgran I like the sound of your granddaughter!

Sunday evening results show, not so much.

nanaK54 Sat 03-Oct-26 18:08:59

Oh early start this evening 6:15 (or am I going mad, sure it's not usually so early?)

TillyTrotter Sat 03-Oct-26 18:13:05

Taking my seat by the TV - it is 6.15 pm .

Calendargirl Sat 03-Oct-26 18:35:40

They’ve obviously taken on board the many complaints about Jo Jo speaking too soon.

Much better now he’s waited until the couple have ascended the stairs.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Oct-26 18:56:26

I really like Kai & Delta āœ”ļø

Calendargirl Sat 03-Oct-26 19:35:13

Johannes doing so much better this week.

Seems much more relaxed in his role, discussing the dances and performance, far more suited to him.