Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

'Once a cheater, always a cheater' is totally true, say scientists

(70 Posts)
Serkeen Mon 04-Sep-17 20:48:28

It said in the papers today that scientists say that once a cheater always a cheater

I am not entirely sure that I agree

Anniepops Tue 05-Sep-17 17:50:06

Call me traditional but I expect respect, trust, loyalty and faithfulness. Surely that is what marriage is all about. Without them why bother. When my ex was eventually caught out the pain I felt was worse than being beaten black and blue and tossed down a staircase. Personally I would never want to risk that kind of hurt again. Even contemplated "ending it all". Pleased I never carried it through as no man is worth that, plus the extra grief I would have caused my lovely family. Now I feel happy and secure with my second husband who also experienced a similar former life to my own.

Sunflower50plus Tue 05-Sep-17 20:33:31

I was a serial cheat then met my current and final husband who I adore . I was lost-I've been saved .

willsmadnan Tue 05-Sep-17 20:46:31

OH 'cheated' (what an old -fashioned expression, but hey, this is Gransnet) on wife no 1 back in the 60s and he lived blissfully with his trollope (me) for 53 years, with never a glance at another woman..... so that blows your spiteful theory well and truly out of the water Serkeen

MissAdventure Tue 05-Sep-17 20:52:16

It wasn't her theory. She quoted it from a newspaper article, and said that she wasn't sure she agreed.

marionk Tue 05-Sep-17 20:54:28

No narrowboatnan you are not the exception, I am standing with you! The need for some physical and emotional feedback for half of my marriage led me to cheat, no such desire now.

MawBroon Tue 05-Sep-17 21:05:10

OP didn't actually opine either way did she?
Reminds me of someone else we used to know who was not yet a granny, but hopeful.

MawBroon Tue 05-Sep-17 23:04:02

Is this the definitive judgement??

michel55 Wed 06-Sep-17 08:08:23

Interesting subject, I am a man , french and a cheater and I don't feel bad about it . In France we think it is ok as long you don't make it too obvious and/or brink it to your home.
My thinking is there is no problem in making two peoples happy with an affair... it could also have benefits for the couple as the cheater will be more happy so the atmosphere will be better..

Iam64 Wed 06-Sep-17 08:21:48

MawBroon - you are spot on about not yet but soon to be a gran.

michel55 - of course you don't feel bad about being a cheater because you have no shame.

MawBroon Wed 06-Sep-17 09:20:29

I don't get your maths Michel you talk of "making two people happy" but what about the partners and children where marriages break up. That's more than your "two people"
I suspect you are a wind up, given the fractured English and I hope it amuses you.
Frankly I hope that my cartoon was a true picture and the last word on cheating.
Sexual infidelity is not the only firm of cheating - fraud and dishonesty in all forms re "cheating".
What is your moral compass?

mumofmadboys Wed 06-Sep-17 10:18:13

Michel 55 would you feel the same if your wife cheated and you found out?

ExaltedWombat Wed 06-Sep-17 14:16:57

Don't forget, cheaters are liars. To surveys as well as to spouses.

Smithy Wed 06-Sep-17 15:45:24

Talking of big cats, leopards Never change their spots.

granny2one Wed 06-Sep-17 22:04:56

It isn't right to think any person is irredeemable. I know that a man can be so stunned by the misery he caused that he never lapses again and can turn things around.
My husband had a long affair which I discovered. and we were both in terrible turmoil for a long time. It helps me to remember that I am not perfect either.
That was 25 years ago. We saved our marriage and that was because we still loved each other. We are so glad we made that decision.

To quote from Hilary Clinton's new book,
"
“There were times that I was deeply unsure about whether our marriage could or should survive, but I asked myself the questions that mattered to me: do I still love him? And can I still be in this marriage without becoming unrecognizable to myself – twisted by anger, resentment, or remoteness? The answers were always yes.”

So yes people can become non cheaters after a bad lapse. If you both sincerely want this. But to quote another woman,
"The screwing you get is not worth the screwing you get"
(Dorathy Parker.)

icanhandthemback Thu 07-Sep-17 00:17:11

My husband cheated on his first wife (and she cheated on him); he was unhappy, she was unhappy, they just had so many problems but neither could see a way out. I knew all of this when we first got together and I must admit I did worry quite a lot about it but 24 years on he has never given me cause for concern. I wasn't always an angel before I got married but I wouldn't dream about cheating on him either. I think it just depends whether you meet somebody who ticks all the important boxes, you respect each other and wouldn't want to hurt them.

illtellhim Thu 07-Sep-17 08:21:57

I don't think people actually go out of their way to cheat, in my opinion its just something that happens, what's more interesting is why do people confess. wink

MissAdventure Thu 07-Sep-17 08:24:51

Do they always confess though? People I've known who have cheated have usually been found out. Then they are sorry, of course.

Anniepops Thu 07-Sep-17 08:28:18

Perhaps lack of maturity can be used as an excuse for having cheated at a younger age, not quite realising the hurt you are inflicting on others. Also if true remorse is shown relationships can possibly be redeemed and strengthened. For others where the cheater has just had their own selfish interests and entitlement at heart I don't believe there is much hope. Cheating isn't just about the emotional, it is also financial ( affairs are pretty expensive to maintain) plus the risk to your health. Add to that the ripples of hurt that extend way beyond to other family members and friends. If your relationship isn't working please talk to each other and do the honest thing before you decide to cheat.

Blinko Thu 07-Sep-17 08:54:28

"The screwing you get is not worth the screwing you get"
(Dorothy Parker.)

Spot on, I'd say.