Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for lunch and dinner today?

(299 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 08-Jan-22 12:23:48

I've not long had breakfast but it was very meagre - a bit of granola and yoghurt. I'm quite well stocked with goodies but can't decide what to have and need some inspiration.

What are your eating plans for the day?

Grandmadinosaur Mon 24-Jan-22 19:26:30

Branflakes with blueberries.

Scrambled egg on toast. Orange

Turkey, little potatoes and salad. Bowl of fresh fruit after.

henetha Tue 25-Jan-22 10:44:46

Fed up with eating leftovers now; going shopping today.
Lunch might be a bit of quiche with salad. I might buy a curry ready meal for dinner later. Or make a curry.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Jan-22 11:17:01

I've just had an Ocado delivery so my cup runneth over - so much to choose from!

Will probably have the crab & crayfish fresh ravioli which is on special offer. Tonight will be a Thai stir fry with a ready-made sauce.

All very easy with minimal cooking.

Maggiemaybe Tue 25-Jan-22 13:56:29

We’ve just had homemade roast pepper soup with some hunks of bread I found in the freezer (it was a toss up as to whether it was bread or chocolate cake). Tuna sandwiches for tea as there’ll be a supper at the pub quiz later.

Maggiemaybe Tue 25-Jan-22 13:58:04

And I’ve just scoffed the penultimate slice of Christmas cake - my waistline will be very glad when it’s all gone.

Baggs Tue 25-Jan-22 14:12:07

Yesterday was more interesting. Lunch was some leftover baked Camembert with some homemade walnut and cranberry bread. Dinner was spring onions, chopped celery, a couple of chopped up leftover potatoes and chicken cooked in a wok with some cream added towards the end, served with deliciously (but not strongly - no chili) spiced beluga lentils.

GrandmaSeaDragon Tue 25-Jan-22 14:22:41

Porridge for breakfast, leek and carrot soup with croutons for lunch and last slice of Mary Berry’s fruit cake (made with left over mincemeat from Christmas), dinner locally produced organic sausages with mashed potatoes, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and carrots. Tea throughout the day, water with meals.

Redhead56 Tue 25-Jan-22 15:37:44

Just a sandwich for lunch nothing special. I am preparing a Burns night meal haggis with whiskey sauce starter. Venison with tatties neeps red wine gravy. I made up a trifle with whiskey cream.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 25-Jan-22 16:31:05

Bacon sandwich for lunch.
I’ve made spaghetti Bol for dinner

BBbevan Tue 25-Jan-22 16:40:12

Lunch was scrambled egg on toast, with a little bowl of sliced apple and satsuma. It is my job in life to get DH to eat just some fruit.
Dinner is cauliflower cheese and DH is having an enormous steak with his .

Boz Tue 25-Jan-22 16:42:30

Dining out as local pub has 60% off all this week.

Witzend Tue 25-Jan-22 16:43:57

We have a guest, so it was lunch out, at the Botanical Brasserie at Kew, which was very nice.

Tonight, gammon steaks, jacket potatoes, salad.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jan-22 16:46:18

Egg, bacon mushrooms and tomato.

Afternoon tea (at a funeral)

Exhausted so not sure what we will have for dinner. At the moment I just feel like a hot chocolate.

Kali2 Tue 25-Jan-22 16:46:32

My day off from cooking. Shopping in France and lunch at a local restaurant. And nope- rules changed for Covid passes in France, you need 2 vaccines + booster. OH's pass was accepted, but mine which is 'Covid + 2 vaccines' was refused!

Sunny day, so we ended up having a McDonald for the first time in 10 years of so, sitting outside.

Bobbysgirl19 Tue 25-Jan-22 17:21:42

Lunch at a garden centre was jacket potatoes with bacon, Stilton and mushroom filling plus side salad.
This evening it’s leftover chicken casserole with veg fry up.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 25-Jan-22 17:24:36

Lunch was toast and peanut butter. Dinner - chicken breast stuffed with goat's chees, wrapped in Proscuitto. Oven-roasted vegetables, roast potatoes with garlic and chives

kittylester Tue 25-Jan-22 17:40:00

Gf crumpet.

Tandoori chicken starter and a few chips with lotsof gossip and chat at the pub with friends.

Hungarian beef and rice - take away from the local Italian (!!)

I think I'm having a day off!!

Maggiemaybe Wed 26-Jan-22 09:23:26

We’re walking up to our local later for their superb carvery (2 for 1 on Wednesdays smile). And we’ll finish off yesterday’s roast pepper soup at teatime. I might just manage that last slice of Christmas cake as well.

kittylester Wed 26-Jan-22 10:32:24

Gf crumpet - last one!!
Cheese sandwich possibly.
Italian omelette, veg chips and salad.

henetha Wed 26-Jan-22 10:45:29

I've just eaten a crumpet.
For lunch, more quiche and salad.
Possibly a small roast dinner tonight as I have some chicken breasts and a huge cauliflower.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 26-Jan-22 13:31:20

Shreddies and a banana.

Spinach and feta tart. Pear.

Pulled pork, jacket potato and salad.

TillyTrotter Wed 26-Jan-22 17:03:16

Homemade chicken and veg soup for lunch with a seeded roll.

Maggiemaybe Thu 27-Jan-22 23:25:49

A selection of Indian street food for lunch at one of our favourite restaurants. Then this evening at a birthday get-together I had mushroom soup, sausage rolls, a cheeseburger and a cupcake. All homemade and delicious, but oh, my poor waistline! I’ll do better tomorrow. smile

Josieann Fri 28-Jan-22 12:23:47

We pushed the boat out this morning. Fresh from the sea. Now to prepare for later.

Lizbethann55 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:33:38

Cheese and biscuits for lunch , but only because we were at a lovely farm shop at the weekend. Friday is chippy tea, which I love because no thought or effort is involved. I hate making sandwiches so, much to my shame, I have instant pot noodly type things for work lunch. I don't mind cooking. But it's the endless deciding what to make that I loathe. When you are a child and desperate to grow up, no one tells you that being an adult means that you will spend the rest of your life thinking " what can I cook for tea?" ( Or dinner if you are posher!)