Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you remember your first cat? ?

(55 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 03-May-21 09:44:55

Hello Everyone
I misread the title of the 'first car' thread; and I thought that it would make a nice topic for a chat.

My first cat was Stanley, a ginger tom.
We'd just moved into here, our first home.
(Strictly speaking, my first cat was a black cat called Squeak when I was a student - but he was a shared cat, not to mention a nuisance, so I'm not really counting him. Sorry Squeak, old chap.)

Stanley was from the Cats Protection League.
When the lady from the Cats Protection called to do a follow up visit Stanley frantically fled into the field at the bottom of the garden - he recognised the bright yellow CP van immediately. He must have thought that they were going to take him back!

Stanley was a wonderful cat; very vocal, friendly and a bit timid - not a scrapper at all. His step-sister was Maisy; a long haired naughty tortie, also from the CP. Maisy terrified him.

Stanley was very polite and well mannered; never any bother. He was also exceptionally fit - he could soar from roof to roof like a flying fox.
He was a lovely old fellow, bless him.

Who was your first cat?
Thank you as ever thanks

SusAngela56 Tue 04-May-21 11:02:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Grandma70s Tue 04-May-21 11:10:19

My first cat when I was seven or so was Orlando, a ginger male, named after Orlando the Marmalade Cat books. He disappeared after we lent him, while on holiday, to a man who was troubled by mice. The man’s name was Mr Phibbs, so naturally I though he was telling fibs about the disappearance of Orlando. Many years later, when I was grown up, I had another ginger Orlando who lived to a great age.

ElaineI Tue 04-May-21 11:10:41

Our first cat was called Susie. I was about 9 when she arrived as a kitten. She was white with black spots and moved several house moves over the years. She had 6 kittens on my mum's best counterpane - remember those! Rejected all the boxes with towels in them. We had several other cats over the years which either disappeared or died. Susie is buried in mum's current garden. She was about 20 when she died. Our first family cat was Lucy - black with white tummy. She lived till 18. Our current cat is a tabby called Kiara, now elderly and very noisy.

JackyB Tue 04-May-21 18:14:24

We got a cat when we moved out of London to the country. I was 4 years old. He was a ginger tom called Sandy. He had a nick in his ear as he enjoyed a good fight.

He would chase rabbits and hares in the fields behind our house and drag them back - some were twice as long as he was.

Our mother would cook them for him. He also loved chocolate.

We moved into the nearest town when I was 17 (parents got fed up with driving us into town all the time) and the cat came with us. He didn't really ever settle in and eventually they had him put down.