Gransnet forums

Chat

What are your breakfast preferences?

(140 Posts)
sunseeker Wed 05-May-21 09:37:49

After the unpleasantness yesterday thought I would start something a little light hearted

There was an article on local radio this morning discussing breakfast preferences one man said he has had the same breakfast every day since he was 14 and is now 52! (Scrambled eggs with cheese)

Do GNs have the same breakfast every day? I tend to vary my breakfast between cereal (porridge in the winter) or toast but have a cooked breakfast on Sundays

PaperMonster Wed 05-May-21 12:39:34

Warm water and two cups of coffee for me.

grannytilly2511 Wed 05-May-21 13:04:49

I alternate between overnight oats, .weetabix., fruit and fibre .
Sometimes have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, or a bacon sarnie at the weekend.

Ealdemodor Wed 05-May-21 13:11:11

Always toast and Marmite with coffee, sometimes with red berry cereal, or a banana and/or yogurt.
Never have a cooked breakfast, just don’t like it.

ginny Wed 05-May-21 13:15:22

Mostly porridge but I vary it with different seeds and fruit.
Rarely have a cooked breakfast as I find it makes me feel ‘heavy’.
I’d really like to have Danish pastries every day !

Maggymay Wed 05-May-21 13:16:40

Same every day porridge and a cup of tea.

Amberone Wed 05-May-21 13:23:50

Porridge through the Winter, made in the slow cooker overnight with almond/coconut milk - sometimes I add cranberries or apples while it's cooking then add cinnamon or maple syrup or blueberries when serving.

In the Summer sometimes cereals, sometimes toast, at the weekend have something cooked. On bank holiday Monday it was eggy bread with bacon and maple syrup, juice and coffee for a late breakfast in the garden.

Esspee Wed 05-May-21 13:24:21

Today I had avocado on toast, (salt, lemon juice and chipped up spring onions), more usually I have Lidl’s luxury muesli with fruit (fresh mangoes, raspberries or blueberries) and live yoghurt. Every Sunday we have a cooked breakfast, normally a a fresh Scottish bread roll, crispy streaky bacon (never smoked), black pudding and a potato scone with perhaps mushrooms or tomatoes.

muse Wed 05-May-21 13:35:27

Had to look up 16=8 diet.

MrM does breakfast every day. I do all other meals. He likes a set routine - bless him.

Me:
Wednesdays + Sundays are egg days. Scrambled or poached on sourdough toast.
Two other days - tomatoes on sourdough
Three days - high fibre cereal with soya milk and fruit

Most days I have some yoghurt.

MrM:
has a three course breakfast. Alternate days are porridge (with water)/high fibre cereal. He eat lots of dried fruit and puts something sweet on his porridge. Plus he has eggs on Wed and Sunday with me. Then a pile of toast with different spreads. He has very little for lunch. Works for him as he's very active/work. He cuts back on food at night if he has ever had an inactive day. His weight has not budged an ounce for as long as I can remember. + he loves a pud at night. He a perfect weight for his height.

maryrose54 Wed 05-May-21 13:36:51

Breakfast for me usually 10.30 to 11.00. I have porridge with sultanas to sweeten it, made with soya milk. If we ever have breakfast out it's just scrambled egg and wholemeal toast. Can't eat too much as have trouble with bloating otherwise.

maydonoz Wed 05-May-21 17:35:56

Our regular breakfast is toast, cheese, marmite and a few black olives. We have a second slice of toast with either honey or marmalade.
Once or twice a week, we have a soft-boiled or scrambled egg. Some days I have porridge with flaked almonds and a little milk on top. Of course there's plenty of Yorkshire tea to go with it all. In the old days when the DC were still home we used to have a fry-up at the weekend but don't indulge anymore.
Ps I wondered what is a 16.8 diet, I don't know this one?

ILE35 Wed 05-May-21 17:44:59

I go between 2 most days. Either Greek youghurt with banana, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and a few mixed nuts or toast and marmalade. The odd weekend I’ll make a bacon roll or boiled eggs and toast and when on hol I enjoy a fry up.

I love breakfast. In fact I love all meal times! ?

Marmight Wed 05-May-21 18:10:25

No I don’t!
It depends on how I feel each morning. Could be porridge with rasps & blueberries with a dod of manuka honey, Skyr yoghurt with fruit topped off with a handful of granola, a poached egg on toast or spinach & smoked salmon omelette if it’s a late breakfast (saves having lunch) or sometimes just a couple of pieces of marmite toast.
All this talk of breakfast is making my tummy rumble ?

Cherrytree59 Wed 05-May-21 18:44:36

Jumbo organic oats with some added fruit, whatever's available grapes, berries, pears or banana, (not all at once)
Then Vanilla yogurt on top.

I also do the 16/8 fast, but nothing gets in the way of my breakfast usually about 10am.?

BBbevan Wed 05-May-21 19:00:41

We don’t have breakfast as we do 16/8. But we have brunch which is anything from melon and Parma ham to a beef burger. Anything goes really

Shinamae Wed 05-May-21 19:08:53

Another for 16/8.water up until 1230 when I generally have a smoothie made with fruit,greens nuts and seeds.. if it’s a work day I will take it with me and have it at about 4 o’clock because I finish at eight...

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 19:41:16

I thought having breakfast would get your metabolism going?
So I don't understand the 16:8 theory.

Greek yogurt, honey and banana and other fruit.
I used to have a poached egg on toast sometimes but have gone off that lately.
Sometimes Scotch pancake or crumpets s with honey.

Tea

blue25 Wed 05-May-21 19:43:14

Berries with Greek yoghurt, nuts & seeds every day.

NotAGran55 Wed 05-May-21 20:05:59

On a work day it is always an omelette with fresh tomato as it sustains me the most.

Other days it is either porridge or kefir/homemade yogurt with fruit, seeds, nuts.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-May-21 20:17:01

Every day two large mugs of tea, then coffee and orange juice with breakfast which is porridge with fruit every other day and then the other days eggs of all sorts, egg and bacon, kippers - I try to keep off the carbs as DH was pre diabetic at one stage which I managed to knock on the head so if we have toast it is only 1/2 slice each under an egg etc.

Maywalk Wed 05-May-21 20:24:13

Cup of tea, pot of Ambrosia rice plus a yogurt.
I hate cornflakes and any other stuff similar and that includes porridge.

I would love a bacon butty but unfortunately cant keep it down due to colon problems.

simtib Wed 05-May-21 20:33:40

Panino sliced in half drizled in olive oil and eight olives and then toasted. And of course a large cappachino.

MissChateline Wed 05-May-21 20:41:36

The same breakfast for many years, berries and yoghurt, fresh pressed juice and coffee. This is after an hours walk through the the woods and fields. Fabulous.

Mrst1405 Wed 05-May-21 20:49:50

I have 3 breakfasts I rotate. 200g of cottage cheese, or 3 eggs in dry pan with handful of sliced mushrooms or crispbread with light philly and jam /cheese spread and marmite.. All with a flat white.

Washerwoman Wed 05-May-21 20:53:23

During the week either porridge with berries and a dollop of yoghurt. Or cold oats and berries and yoghurt. Plus a nice strong coffee.
At the weekend scrambled egg and tomatoes on a bagel.Or poached egg on avocado and toast.Or occasionally a full English fry up.
I never ate breakfast when I was younger.Now its my favourite meal.

lemsip Wed 05-May-21 21:06:00

I'm an early riser and breakfast varies day to day. Bircher muesli in warm water , scrambled egg & toast, sometimes toast and marmalade. 2 cups of tea.