Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

The Gransnet 10,000 steps a day club

(659 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 14:23:39

So, the NHS says: "Research shows that walking 10,000 steps a day will significantly improve your health. Putting one foot in front of the other can build stamina, burn excess calories and give you a healthier heart."

It's not the easiest thing to get started with, but - having been doing it since January - my own experience is that it definitely gets easier (indeed addictive. At the start it was "agh, 10,000 steps". Now I'm more "only 12,000 steps today?!")

One thing I have also found is that - as with dieting and our weigh in threads - having somewhere to talk to other people doing (or trying) the same thing, to encourage each other or to have a good old moan when it's all getting a bit much is a very good thing indeed.

So here inspired by this thread from TerriBull and for all those who are doing it, trying it, would like to give it a go, is the great Gransnet 10,000 steps club.

(I'm at 6,451 so far today btw!)

Nanabelle Sat 28-Nov-15 17:52:26

Calling all Fitbit Zip users ……… I bought mine in September 2014 and just recently the end tip of the silicone clip has come off, exposing two bits of metal. Anyone else had a problem like this?
I contacted the Customer Service Fitbit online, and they replied immediately asking for a photo of damaged case, and receipt. I can't find my receipt but have sent a photo! Hopefully they will send a new cover. New ones cost about £12 I think.
It's ok to wear clipped on a jeans pocket, but not inside my bra anymore!! hmm

Nanabelle Mon 30-Nov-15 00:31:08

Well, what great customer service from Fitbit. They are sending me a new silicone case, free of charge. I am very impressed with how quickly they dealt with my emails and look forward to a new pink cover coming next week!

Elegran Fri 01-Jan-16 16:15:12

Get paid for your 10,000 steps! Digital currency pays people to walk

A phone application counts and verifies users' steps, with walkers earning approximately 1 BW$ (Bitwalker dollars) for about 10,000 steps (about five miles)

yogagran Fri 01-Jan-16 16:25:17

On the same theme, there's also this one which I've used for some time:
www.bounts.it

Elegran Fri 01-Jan-16 16:59:35

I wonder whether you could sign up for both and be paid twice for the same walking?

Nanabelle Fri 02-Sep-16 10:18:06

hello Fitbit Fans - just had an email today introducing Fitbit Adventures - looks fun. I use the Fitbit Ap on iPhone and have challenges with my children! This new Adventures thing looks fun and once my holiday visitors have gone home today, I hope to try a new challenge. Too much sitting chatting this summer!
I still have my Zip, but children have the Alta which is wrist worn, but it does remind them to get up and move if they have been sitting too long!
Anyone else going to try the Adventures?

Daisygirl Mon 12-Sep-16 12:11:36

I have the Fitbit Alta which really concentrates my mind on movement. If at the end of the day I haven't reached 10,000 steps I walk around the house until I do. I am not sure if this is good for the carpet though. Unfortunately it doesn't mean that I lose weight, only that I don't put it on - which is fine in theory but I need to lose two stone. I love the Alta because it also alerts me to messages and phone calls on my mobile.

Sunlover Thu 15-Sep-16 00:07:06

Also got the Alta recently. So far have managed my 10,000 steps or more on most days. Usually I have to make the effort to go out for a walk to get anywhere near my target. Got home from work today ( teaching a very challenging Yr 5 class) and collapsed on the sofa. Only 6997 steps today.
All this walking is playing havoc with my feet!!