Gransnet forums

House and home

Black flooring for kitchen?

(68 Posts)
phoenix Wed 12-Sep-18 18:31:03

Hello all, and sending good wishes.

Now, if you had a kitchen that measured approximately 12m sq, and had light beech cupboards, sort of black granite type speckled worktops, tiles that are black, cream and light coffee, floor currently light beech (but not the same colour as the cupboards) and needs replacing, what colour floor would you go for?

It's a kitchen dining room, the (cat proof!) dining chairs are black with chrome legs, most of the kitchen bits are either black or chrome/silver.

I have lived with the current floor since we bought the house in 2005, and the floor does need replacing.

Have looked at various "wood" (i.e.laminate/vinyl) options, but just wondered if black might be a good, possibly even "stylish" option!

Your opinions are welcomed!!

Jane10 Wed 12-Sep-18 19:12:30

We have light wood units, black worktops and black tiled floor. Sage green tiles. Looks OK to us. It's a galley kitchen though.

Charleygirl Wed 12-Sep-18 19:13:01

phoenix I am not a fan of black so I am probably not the person to be giving you advice but I have dark grey shiny tiles which show everything dropped and every mark so the floor constantly needs cleaning.

If you want black, what about a mottled vinyl - white and black and it would not show everything which has fallen on the floor. That would look smart and easily looked after.

Charleygirl Wed 12-Sep-18 19:14:27

I should have mentioned that the wall tiles are mainly white interspersed with grey and all of the units are shiny white.

varian Wed 12-Sep-18 19:14:40

Slate might be good

Eglantine21 Wed 12-Sep-18 19:35:42

My son had a skate floor in his flat that looked really smart and because it was an uneven sort of surface it didn’t need endless sweeping and cleaning.

I agree with charleygirl, a black shiny floor shows all the bits and splurges!

Nanabilly Wed 12-Sep-18 19:36:20

We were in the B and A warehouse store or the Depot , not sure what it's currently called but they have a huge selection of wooden type flooring and we really liked some of the new doorways of greys and brown mix . Not as dark as black and not pale and insipid either

mcem Wed 12-Sep-18 19:40:17

White units, white and charcoal tiles, black appliances, red feature wall and charcoal flooring.
I like it. The feature wall was previously peacock blue but could be changed to any colour I fancy!

Jane10 Wed 12-Sep-18 19:43:47

Our black floor isn't shiny. It's matt with a slightly rippled effect. The tiles are quite large and there's cream grouting.

J52 Wed 12-Sep-18 19:45:57

I’m not a fan of dark floors, kitchen floors need to be clean, so I don’t mind the dirt showing that it needs a wash.
I’d go for a light grey.

NonnaW Wed 12-Sep-18 19:47:42

We currently have black slate tiles and I love them.

phoenix Wed 12-Sep-18 19:57:22

Thank you all for the responses, they are appreciated.I

I already have various samples of different wood ones, just a sudden thought 're the black.

BTW, Mr P is hell bent on this Luxury Vinyl stuff, it's not cushion floor, which cats can damage blush, and not laminate, which we currently have. Ok, it's chipped in places, but I can live with that, however Mr P seems to be on a bit of a crusade confused

Charleygirl Wed 12-Sep-18 21:15:22

Laminate looks good but does not take too kindly to your washing machine leaking. Vinyl would be much better.

crystaltipps Wed 12-Sep-18 21:23:44

Amtico is good quality but a bit pricy. Black slate tiles look smart and don’t show every mark.

Chewbacca Wed 12-Sep-18 21:34:57

Phoenix, like you, I also have light coloured kitchen units, black worktops and neutral tiles and I had a charcoal slate effect floor. It was a total and utter nightmare to keep clean looking. Baking days showed a fine film of flour. Water spillage showed a white dried eater stain. Bookmarks showed up even the tread marks on soles of shoes. I was forever trying to keep it clean looking.
I finally gave up and earlier this year had Karndean Knight tile oak planking laid. Not cheap, but it's extremely hard wearing, a fiddle to clean and doesn't show up every little bit of mess like the dark floor did.

JudyJudy12 Wed 12-Sep-18 21:35:15

I would have black slate.

Chewbacca Wed 12-Sep-18 21:36:03

Eater stain? Water stain!

Jane10 Thu 13-Sep-18 08:13:08

Eater stains? I'm all to familiar with those Chewbacca!

MissAdventure Thu 13-Sep-18 08:21:38

I'm usually covered in those by the end of the day. smile

Chewbacca Thu 13-Sep-18 08:23:29

grin

grannysyb Thu 13-Sep-18 08:52:12

DD had a black slate type floor in her last house. When her children were crawling their clothes ended up black as well! She had it re-sealed but it didn't seem any better.

MawBroon Thu 13-Sep-18 09:13:27

I have dark charcoal slate in one bathroom and it shows every speck of dust. In a kitchen it would be a nightmare!
If you do want slate/stone of any sort a lightish grey would be more forgiving.
Not your colour scheme but I have a veined pale terracotta colour in my kitchen and it is marvellous. With one Turtle mat to catch the paw prints at the door it can go a whole week easy!

harrigran Thu 13-Sep-18 09:43:40

I am not a fan of black in kitchens and would not have it as flooring.
I do like Amtico especially the ones that look like slate or marble tiles. I have light grey marble in my kitchen.

Eglantine21 Thu 13-Sep-18 09:49:18

Revising my opinion (above) of black slate. It occurs to me that my son gave it a good clean before I visited!

annodomini Thu 13-Sep-18 09:53:55

Our first house had black vinyl tiles in the bathroom. Never again would I put black in a bathroom. It showed every little smear, smudge or trace of baby powder.