Gransnet forums

News & politics

How long will Boris last?

(322 Posts)
trisher Tue 17-Dec-19 21:04:35

As a bit of amusement I was trying to work ut how long Boris will stick at the job of PM. He's not big on commitment. I think he'll want to go down in history as the man who did Brexit, but I don't think he'll wnt to stick around afterwards. I think he'll be getting himself bounced up to the H of Lords once it's done. Anyone else want to guess at how long he'll last?

Missfoodlove Tue 17-Dec-19 21:19:21

I think 8 years as Mayor of London counts as committed.

Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 21:25:31

No - I think the knowledge he is popular and that the North have entrusted him with their votes will galvanise him.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

5 years minimum.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 21:30:48

Definitely less than five years - he has the attention span of a gnat with a very short attention span and he’ll be gone once he gets Brexit done to the point at which he feels he can wave the English flag at the EU and then he’ll be gone to some Republican role in the US somewhere.

threexnanny Tue 17-Dec-19 21:32:03

I'm sure he will want to match (or beat) Cameron's six years.

Charleygirl5 Tue 17-Dec-19 21:32:28

I cannot see a pathological liar staying in this post much beyond leaving Brexit.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 21:32:45

He’ll also not want to stick around to see the less savoury (for a very low definition of savoury) parts of his Brexit deal hit the poorest in society and reality dawn.

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 21:34:48

Jesus Urm, are you a Boris groupie or what?

MamaCaz Tue 17-Dec-19 21:47:15

He has a lot of people to keep happy, and apart from them all wanting Brexit (though far from united in the form of it that they want), I really can't see it being long before cracks begin to appear, both amongst his MPs and the electorate.

IMO, he is going to have to have to play one hell of a blinder to keep all those plates spinning and hold it all together. Personally, seeing how he couldn't even keep his own siblings on side, I don't think he has that in him!

MerylStreep Tue 17-Dec-19 21:50:35

At least 10 years, or longer? who's to stop him?
The Labour Party will elect another momentum muppet which will mean they will loose even more MPs at the next election ?

Davidhs Tue 17-Dec-19 21:52:24

He seems to be on a full frontal collision course with EU if he continues on a belligerent line he will loose and there will be “no deal”.
He can get parliament to draw a red line on December 2020 now, parliament can also reverse that later, he only needs 40 Tories to rebel. He believes EU will cave in and give the UK a free trade deal - they won’t.

How long, 2 yrs, deal or no deal

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 21:52:55

Although, of course, if Bozza JUST lets Cummings pull his strings he might last a bit longer.

BUT I think he'll go rogue. Think HE'S in control and f**k it up.

MerylStreep Tue 17-Dec-19 21:55:29

Is anyone watching 'The Brexit Storm' on BBC 2.
It's quiet amusing to listen to Laura's predictions all those months back. Egg on face doesn't even come close ?

Urmstongran Tue 17-Dec-19 21:57:28

I support BJ GagaJo because he has promised to GET BREXIT DONE!

The same as varian for instance would be a so-called ‘groupie’ for Jo Swinson and her STOP BREXIT.

What’s wrong with that? Do you have a bee in your bonnet because my vote in the referendum is finally going to count for something?

After Brexit, I’ll judge the man on his promises.

So far, he’s doing EVERYTHING right. It’s embarassing!!

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 22:03:38

Get Brexit done is beginning to sound like make America great again - a meaningless soundbite to appease the easily fooled. Have they produced the baseball hat yet, I wonder?

Calendargirl Tue 17-Dec-19 22:08:05

Yes MerylStreep, have just watched The Brexit Storm. It finished with Laura Keunssberg ruminating on how long she thinks Boris will last as PM.
10 years was the figure she was coming up with perhaps.....

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 22:12:30

I don't have a bee in my bonnet Urm. I'm nothing, if not flexible. You fan girl all you like.

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 22:13:45

Yes, SirChenjin.

I think it was PoppyRed that used make Britain great again, on here a couple of days ago. Not sure if it was a p*ss take or if she genuinely was parroting sound bites. One hopes the former.

lemongrove Tue 17-Dec-19 22:14:56

What a lot of wishful thinking trisher and others.?
A PM with a thumping majority, having just trounced the LP
Will be around until another GE and may get another five years after that!
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.?

lemongrove Tue 17-Dec-19 22:16:05

Give up all the defiant bravado Gaga......anyway, aren’t you off to liberal China?

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 22:24:05

Gaga MUGA (Make the UK Great Again) would be perfect for those baseball hats wink

GagaJo Tue 17-Dec-19 22:50:54

No defiance here LG. No point lamenting the past, whatever I think about the present. You gnash away. Water off the proverbial ducks back.

Hahaha, SirChenjin. I can just see Bozza and Trump sitting side by side. MUGA and MAGA. I'm sure Farage would get in there somewhere too.

M0nica Tue 17-Dec-19 22:57:14

I see Labour's defeat in the next election already in preparation.

JenniferEccles Tue 17-Dec-19 22:57:33

Time will tell of course but my money is on him staying the course .

He has wanted the top job for years and years apparently so there is no way he is likely to give up after a short term.

I have high hopes for what he will achieve in the years ahead.

M0nica Tue 17-Dec-19 23:04:05

Yes, but he will win because, once again, Labour will shoot itself in both feet. The disaster is already in the making.