Gransnet forums

News & politics

Deported to Jamaica before Windrush report

(261 Posts)
trisher Mon 10-Feb-20 18:10:28

50 people are being deported to Jamaica tomorrow, before the Windrush report is even published. Please sign to give them a chance to stay in the country many of them have grown up in
chng.it/Hs5vxhMtcv

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 21:22:48

A lot are children and grandchildren of windrush

People who may never have even visited Jamaica

Greymar Mon 10-Feb-20 21:36:28

and so what? Oops like British and black. weave you tiny minds round that.

Joelsnan Mon 10-Feb-20 21:37:25

notanan2
^ A lot are children and grandchildren of windrush. People who may never have even visited Jamaica^
If they were born here they are British citizen and could not be deported.
If they were born in the West Indies before 1973 and the joined their parents later. They cannot be deported.

If they, or their parents came to UK after1973 they are not entitled to automatic citizenship and therefore if they have never applied for it the can be deported if they are either here illegally or have committed serious or repeat crimes. These people must fall into this category.

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 21:40:30

If they were born here they are British citizen and could not be deported.

That is not the case if they were born after the early 80s or if they and their parents werent aware than the promised automatic rights had to be backed up with applying for documents.

The goal posts changed without people realising.

One sibling can be british, another born later in the 80s may not realise they arent british

Joelsnan Mon 10-Feb-20 21:48:12

notanan2

www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality/british-citizenship

If your parents were not British, Irish, EU or EEA citizens when you were born
You’re automatically a British citizen if when you were born at least one of your parents was living in the UK and had any of the following:

indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
right to re-admission
right of abode
If the parent that meets these conditions is your father and you were born before 1 July 2006, he must have been married to your mother when you were born.

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:08:34

Born in the UK or a British colony before 1 January 1983
You’re usually automatically a British citizen if you were born in the UK.

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:09:40

Born in the UK between 1 January 1983 and 1 October 2000
Whether you’re a British citizen depends on where your parents were from and their circumstances. There are different rules if, when you were born:

at least one of your parents was a British or Irish citizen
at least one of your parents was a citizen of an EU or EEA country
neither of your parents was a British, Irish, EU or EEA citizen

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:12:15

If the parents had leave to remain or you cannot provide proof of their citizenship (common if they never renued passports etc) and you were born after 1983 you may not be automatically a citizen unlike your older siblings

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:14:24

One of the big issues with Windrush is that there is now a tighter burden of proof.

The parents werent told "yes you are a citizen but you ^must get and keep up an uptodate passport at all times to prove it in the future.

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:16:12

Parents with leave to remain and older children with automatic citizenship did not get told in advance that they needed to natralise before having more children here!

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:17:13

The goal posts changed for people who were already here and following the rules as they were at the time.

Getting citizenship after the birth doesnt do

trisher Mon 10-Feb-20 22:23:27

Judges have ruled the 50 cannot be removed from detention centres because they have not had proper contact with lawyers.

Hetty58 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:26:34

It's a disgrace and I hope the flight is cancelled:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/10/served-time-prison-deported-britain-children-jamaica-family

JenniferEccles Mon 10-Feb-20 22:41:01

I most certainly will not be signing this.

These people have committed serious crimes here. Why the hell should anyone think they deserve to stay?

Good riddance.

mumofmadboys Mon 10-Feb-20 23:04:05

I have no qualms in signing the petition

Hetty58 Mon 10-Feb-20 23:06:20

They didn't have phone access to legal representation for the required time, so plans for deportation have now been delayed:

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jamaica-deportation-flight-delay-mobile-phone-lawyer-home-office-immigration-windrush-latest-a9328296.html

growstuff Mon 10-Feb-20 23:08:19

Jamaica should have refused to take them and stripped them of citizenship, like the UK did with Shamima Begum, who was born in the UK.

trisher Tue 11-Feb-20 09:57:34

growstuff perhaps Jamaicastill retains some elements of the British system which once operated here, you know the one which believed in justice, rehabilitation when a prison sentence was served and compassion. Values we seem to have lost along the way. This is scary stuff- who will they come for next?

trisher Tue 11-Feb-20 10:03:44

Flight has left apparently but not with all the 50. Is anyone worried that this government is ignoring the rule of law?

quizqueen Tue 11-Feb-20 10:07:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MaizieD Tue 11-Feb-20 10:15:20

Where are they to be deported to if they are British born nationals? We don't have penal colonies any more and why should other countries take the people we don't want?

This is just ludicrous.

MaizieD Tue 11-Feb-20 10:17:54

As I understand it, trisher, the ruling wasn't to stop the flight but to stop the deportation of those who had not been able to contact their lawyers because of a faulty mobile network. This only applied to two detention centres. The flight has taken those from a third which wasn't affected by the network problem.

Grannyjay Tue 11-Feb-20 10:21:19

Remember the illegal being deported who was a convicted rapist. The passengers stopped it and not only did it cost thousands of pounds because of the disruption it caused they were breaking the law. If the passengers had known he was a violent rapist I wonder if they would have felt different. We are not above the law.

maddyone Tue 11-Feb-20 10:55:49

I’ve just seen Sajid Javid’s interview on SkyNews. I totally agree that foreign criminals should be deported, we’ve got quite enough of our own criminals. Why would we want to keep them? They don’t have citizenship of the UK, they’ve committed serious crimes, rape and manslaughter are two that were mentioned. I don’t understand why anyone would prefer them to be here, to be let out into the community so they can commit more crimes.
The Windrush scandal has got absolutely nothing to do with this at all.
No, I won’t be signing, I want them to be deported.

maddyone Tue 11-Feb-20 10:57:02

These people are NOT citizens of the UK.