Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Trolls trolling

(107 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

FannyCornforth Tue 27-Apr-21 11:45:11

Hello there
It seems that there a few jokers on the site
See headphone thread and Christmas thread
I get the feeling that there is more to come
Thank you

FannyCornforth Tue 04-May-21 15:13:12

Doodledog I have noticed that threads in the newsletter do get a surge of traffic
Ixion I don't think that there is anybody there at the moment. Just like the Thai thread

FannyCornforth Tue 04-May-21 15:14:28

Jaxjacky

Unfortunately this type of thread gets them attention, which is what they’re after.

What gets them attention is being able to post so prolifically and not having their threads deleted

ixion Tue 04-May-21 15:19:46

FC Thanks!
But it beats me how these often disgusting posts can stay up for hours but others involving long-established posters may well disappear in a flash, it seems.

FannyCornforth Tue 04-May-21 15:22:31

Ixion quite. It's not exactly customer focused is it...

JaneJudge Tue 04-May-21 15:25:56

Surely Gransnet and Mumsnet should support the securing of women's rights? Supporting women's rights doesn't mean you are anti trans.

FannyCornforth Tue 04-May-21 15:27:00

Jane now that is a way to get a post deleted

JaneJudge Tue 04-May-21 15:30:57

I will most probably get a warning

Mollygo Tue 04-May-21 15:32:13

Just received multiple thanks for multiple reports and the posters are banned.

grandMattie Tue 04-May-21 15:34:04

Me too + a mass response. Obviously, people are reporting.

ixion Tue 04-May-21 17:15:36

Surely one has 'apply' to Gransnet before one can post? (Read --no, contribute-yes). So posts here are not spontaneous, unless these user names have been previously registered?

In which case, there might well be a whole list of dodgy posters ready to pounce?As in "who shall we be today?".

Is that the case?

lemongrove Tue 04-May-21 17:45:31

The trolling posts on the ‘What did you do today ‘ thread were rather ‘different’ weren’t they??Were they on every thread?
I just thought looking at the title of this thread, that somebody
( where are you Phoenix?) could do an Internet forum version of The twelve days of Christmas, ten trolls a trolling etc.

FannyCornforth Tue 04-May-21 18:10:21

Hello lemongrove
Yes, they were of the most unpalatable variety, and they were allowed to stand for over four hours.
The GN newsletter linked to several of the threads where the trolls were having a gay old time.
Just proving that 'GNHQ' don't read their own site.

Elegran Tue 04-May-21 18:17:21

JaneJudge I wanted to say that the poster must mean down, not up, unless they did it standing on their head - but I didn't wish to encourage the T.

JaneJudge Tue 04-May-21 18:24:26

Elegran

JaneJudge I wanted to say that the poster must mean down, not up, unless they did it standing on their head - but I didn't wish to encourage the T.

I don't think they'd had biology lessons, I think they thought the front downstairs end connected to further up
So a man? wink

Doodledog Tue 04-May-21 19:01:37

AmberSpyglass

Maybe if MNHQ didn’t keep losing their advertisers for their support of anti-trans posts, they could afford to hire a moderator for GN...

Really? Can you link me up to where you got this info please?

Grandmabatty Tue 04-May-21 19:02:28

JaneJudge I think you give the trolls too much credit by referring to them as men. They strike me as silly wee boys who are enthralled with their bits and think dirty talk is funny. I've taught many such over the years and they're very boring and predictable.

BlueBelle Tue 04-May-21 19:10:54

Perhaps we need a thread of naming the rude trolls NOT posts that we might think a bit dubious but the real rude ones then I can bet you HQ will soon act and get rid of them if they start being named instead of pussyfooting around them

I missed most this morning bu5 I get the drift

FannyCornforth Tue 04-May-21 19:13:40

BlueBelle

Perhaps we need a thread of naming the rude trolls NOT posts that we might think a bit dubious but the real rude ones then I can bet you HQ will soon act and get rid of them if they start being named instead of pussyfooting around them

I missed most this morning bu5 I get the drift

I don't think that you get 'the drift' at all BlueBelle

BlueBelle Tue 04-May-21 19:17:56

What’s that mean Fanny ? Perhaps you can educate me then

sodapop Tue 04-May-21 19:38:51

Unnecessary comment there FannyCornforth

JaneJudge Tue 04-May-21 19:59:10

erm they were actual trolls with new names?? what's up with you pair?
they were making racist, sexist and sexual posts all over the shop

BlueBelle Tue 04-May-21 20:36:37

What did I say wrong with suggesting naming them then Janejudge
I don’t understand what I ve said wrong ???
I m not defending Ttolls why would you think I was ?
I was suggesting revealing them to get the moderators on the job quicker

JaneJudge Tue 04-May-21 20:39:50

loads of people reported them though or said their names, I don't think you saw what was posted some of it was really crude

I cant even type what I was going to, I don't think you saw it

Alegrias1 Tue 04-May-21 20:44:30

Any interaction with malicious posters makes it worse. Ignore them, report them. Don't engage. Its not rocket science.

I don't think GNHQ are sitting there, fingers at the ready, to delete every post that we report. There were so many this morning that they probably had to do a bulk delete of all posts by a certain couple of posters, to make sure they got them all. Which probably takes time and may explain the site going down a couple of times.

sodapop Tue 04-May-21 20:49:08

Can't be bothered with such stupidity. Why are 'you pair' giving them so much oxygen.